I am having issues with a remote office. Using DHCP over VPN the users could see all of the Linux boxes and Windows boxes at my site. Doing this caused an issue with my Nortel BCM I couldn't get to it from the main office which tends to be an issue with IP phones. So now I had to change the remote office's DHCP to come from there local server using its own IP range the issue now is that the computers can not get to the 3 linux boxes at the main office they can get to the M$ servers and even local computers. Any idea?

thanks
John

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm not really sure from your description what's happening, all I can say is, a VPN client MUST get it's IP address from the tunnel connection, because that is address it uses during the tunnel session. While in session, it ignores it's normally assigned local IP address. Depending on how name resolution is designed in the network they are connecting to, even if a correct IP address is being assigned, the name resolution for browsing may not work.

I'm not really sure from your description what's happening, all I can say is, a VPN client MUST get it's IP address from the tunnel connection, because that is address it uses during the tunnel session. While in session, it ignores it's normally assigned local IP address. Depending on how name resolution is designed in the network they are connecting to, even if a correct IP address is being assigned, the name resolution for browsing may not work.

OK to explain further, this is a satalite office in another state. They are on there own IP range to make it easier to andmin. them. From the research I have done it looks like I am going to need to add there IP range to the linux servers route.

AFAIK they shouldn't be routed at all while in tunnel session. What kind of VPN do you have set up? Is the VPN client at the remote office router based? I.E. does the tunnel information stop at the router and get forwarded to the clients? or does each individual client run their own "soft" VPN client? If so, is it an MS VPN client or 3rd party? At the main office end, is it MS based or a hardware solution?

The VPN at the other office is router based. They are both Sonic Wall firewall/VPN units.

This would almost certainly be an issue with the Sonic Wall configuration then. Regrettably Sonic Wall is not one that I am familiar with so I can't help explicitly, but if the address range at one end changes, then the router at the other end would have to be updated in order to know that. It's not just a route though, it's in the VPN settup config.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.