I have just got cable internet and I wanted to go through a router. When I have the cable connected directly to the pc I have no problems getting onto the internet. It goes quickly. Unfortunately, when I go through the router it takes upto 3-5 minutes for the internet to come up or switch pages. I have a netgear mr814v2 router running through a zonet zen3200 nic card installed on a hp pavillion (rebuilt) pc with windows 98se. I am not very comp savvy, so any info y9ou can give that might make this work faster in layman's terms would be helpful. thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Have you upgraded the firmware of the router? I've heard a couple of people that bought this router got stuck with an older firmware version and that when they installed the upgrade it worked just fine.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=574

Also, your method of obtaining your IP address and DNS info could play a part. Are you setting your IP information manually, or is the router acting as a DHCP server (automatically providing your IP info for you)?

Also, your method of obtaining your IP address and DNS info could play a part. Are you setting your IP information manually, or is the router acting as a DHCP server (automatically providing your IP info for you)?

HI,

I'd like to know how this can play a part and what are the best Practices to avoid slowdowns. ( or any other issues that could play a role)

I have a linksys WRT 54 GS rounter, I have installed the latest DD-WRT firmware. It's still quite slow.

Thanks
Peter

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.