Problem:

I have this computer that has a problem...
It is taking an IP address from the radio down the hall when it should be taking the IP from the server.

What should I do to correct the problem?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

When did radios start handing out IP addresses?

Ok, so I was wrong.
It's not the radios.The computer has disconnected its self from the network and I have no idea how to get it back on.
I have checked the cables and the NIC, both are fine and working properly... I have checked the connection at the main hub, connected there.

Anything else that I might be missing?

I would either plug this PC into a known good working connection or take a known good working PC and try it on this PCs connection, cable and all. At least this will narrow the problem to the PC or your cable connection. It's impossible to prove if cables and nics are truly good when your in a non-working state.

I would either plug this PC into a known good working connection or take a known good working PC and try it on this PCs connection, cable and all. At least this will narrow the problem to the PC or your cable connection. It's impossible to prove if cables and nics are truly good when your in a non-working state.

Will do! I will le you know the progress when I get done.

well, the connection is good... then it has to be the computer... right?

Right. Of course that still leaves you with lots of options, :) but you don't need to worry about the rest. Do an IPconfig from a command prompt and see what you get. Is your OS XP home or professional?

PRO

OK... new problem... I can get it to PING the server...
But it still will not go anywhere.

Ok... NEW THING:
I did a system restore... IT WORKED! But when I ran Ad-Aware, it deleted the connection again. I tried to do another restore, but it won't wokr now. What do to?

Sounds like new.net to me...when AdAware removes one of it's components it blows up the network connection...these are a pain if that's what it is since you will not have network connectivity to get out to the internet to fix it. When you remove things with AdAware it should make a backup - why don't you try restoring that backup and then go to the Control Panel and launch Add/Remove programs and see if you have the new.net software installed and remove it. IF you are unsuccesful restoring the settings from AdAware then go to this site and download the file in Procedure 4, once AdAware blows away that setting you will not be able to get your network connection back until you get this software removed. I'm just going on a hunch but if it died directly after running AdAware I'm almost certain this is your problem. I only know this because one of the users I used to support was having spyware issues and one of my help desk colleagues ran AdAware and then the user lost network connectivity - of course the user blamed the tech and I was called in to put out the fire. The only way I could get it to work once AdAware removed that component was to download that file from the site I listed above onto a floppy and then take it to the broken computer and run it. After that the network connection worked again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.