Hello to everybody! I've been trying to set up a D-Link WBR-1310 wireless router, and it cannot connect to the internet for some reason.

I have DSL from Verizon, and a Westell 6100 modem. I configured it as a bridge and turned off the DHCP just as the tech guys said. But when I install my router it doesn't work. I called Dlink support and they made me set up the router internet connection manually to PPPoe, I inserted all the information and nothing. I already called/emailed them several times with no results.

Any help would be seriously appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What OS are you using?
Assuming Windows XP....

First things first - with the router plugged into the computer, go to start menu/all programs/accessories/command prompt.

At the command prompt type

ipconfig /all

What results do you get?

(You may need to do things slightly differently if you have Vista)

Yes, Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition.

The results seemed pretty normal, I had an IP address and everything. Though, when I connected it to the DSL modem there wasn't any IP, I don't know if that's normal or if it's what your looking for.

The router should be acting as a DHCP server in place of your modem - that's why it's advised to disable DHCP on the modem itself. Go into the configuration of the router and check it has DHCP enabled, even if you have to manually set up TCP/IP settings to connect to it.
You're doing all this with cables, rather than attempting to set it up wirelessly straight away right? Did the router come with a cable to connect it to the modem? It will be different type to the cable you attach between router and PC, so has to be used for that purpose.

I did disable the DHCP from the modem and used the cable that came wih the router. For the router, when I set my connection as PPPoe does that mean it will act as DHCP server? I don't know much about this.

Not really, it's the encapsulation method used for the information transmitted between your ISP and your modem. There ought to be a setting somewhere amongst the router settings relating to DHCP. Did they advise you to choose Static PPPoE or Dynamic? What error message does XP show - Limited Connectivity? Cannot renew IP address? Depending on the revision of your router (A/B/C) you'll find DHCP settings under Settings (at the top), Network Settings (3rd down on the left). Make sure Enable DHCP Server is ticked and there are at least 2 addresses in the IP address range (more preferably). Set lease time to 24 hours.
What revision number too? http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=474&sec=0#manual

I ran into this problem with that modem a few weeks ago, and Verizon was unable to solve it.
We contacted Verizon for a new modem.

Version B1.

I ran into this problem with that modem a few weeks ago, and Verizon was unable to solve it.
We contacted Verizon for a new modem.

I installed it once but had to buy a new modem, and since then it didn't work.

They suggested dynamic and I don't receive any error from windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.