good day to everyone. i need to set up internet for a college.we have found the isp and they said they we will be connecting via ppoe via a radio link. no ip address will be given to me but i will be given a username and a password.

so how do i go about this.and how will be the config in the router look like

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

There are a lot of factors:

Do you mean you wont be assigned an IP (you're stuck with dynamic) or that you wont be provided with it (you need to find it on your own via the modem/gateways managment account)

Will this connection be for the infrastructure, for web access in dorms, or both?

How many computers do you need to support?

Is there already a network infrastructure in place for the campuses computers?

Will the some of the computers on the network be networked in a client server configuration (network log-on) or will they all be peer-peer (all computers are logged into locally).

Will you need centralized file and print servers?

Is this the only campus, or are you going to need to connect multiple locations.

Will you have on-site web servers?

How fast is the internet connection being provided (to give us a sense of bandwidth requirements and strain on the network)

Are there any special needs we need to know about?

I doubt a single router could work in this situation, I'd suggest a real switch somewhere along the way, that way you can use routers (wireless and/or wired) to provide web access to students or professors, and the switch (and possibly sub-switches) to connect servers and infrastructure.

Off the top of my head I'd suggest ISP>Network Firewall> Switch>Servers and Routers for terminals or ISP>Switch> separate firewalls for Servers, Network infrastructure, wired routers/switches for classrooms:offices, Wired or wireless routers for public access to students/teachers on laptops.

I'm one of those stereotypical Consultants who spends every free moment mountain biking and kayaking, so I wont be at a computer until after the holiday weekend. I'll check back with this post on Monday if nobody else has answered your questions.

There are a lot of factors:

Do you mean you wont be assigned an IP (you're stuck with dynamic) or that you wont be provided with it (you need to find it on your own via the modem/gateways managment account)

Will this connection be for the infrastructure, for web access in dorms, or both?

How many computers do you need to support?

Is there already a network infrastructure in place for the campuses computers?

Will the some of the computers on the network be networked in a client server configuration (network log-on) or will they all be peer-peer (all computers are logged into locally).

Will you need centralized file and print servers?

Is this the only campus, or are you going to need to connect multiple locations.

Will you have on-site web servers?

How fast is the internet connection being provided (to give us a sense of bandwidth requirements and strain on the network)

Are there any special needs we need to know about?

I doubt a single router could work in this situation, I'd suggest a real switch somewhere along the way, that way you can use routers (wireless and/or wired) to provide web access to students or professors, and the switch (and possibly sub-switches) to connect servers and infrastructure.

Off the top of my head I'd suggest ISP>Network Firewall> Switch>Servers and Routers for terminals or ISP>Switch> separate firewalls for Servers, Network infrastructure, wired routers/switches for classrooms:offices, Wired or wireless routers for public access to students/teachers on laptops.

I'm one of those stereotypical Consultants who spends every free moment mountain biking and kayaking, so I wont be at a computer until after the holiday weekend. I'll check back with this post on Monday if nobody else has answered your questions.

at the moment we have 100 computers and i will need to configure vlans as well.we intend to have about 5 servers , stud mail server , staff webmail server , proxy servers etc. we applied for the broadband .so our ISP said we will be given a username and a password so that we will be able to connect.
since the ISP said , it will be PPoE , i do not think that a modem will be used .i think it will be via Ethernet.but still i am failing to understand how i will configure the router when no modem will be required and we will be connected via a radio link

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.