Hello everyone I'm having some issues with my wireless network dropping connections. Every now and then the network for whatever reason it appears our network is losing signal to our ISP, however our desktop computer proves otherwise that it is not (well at times it is not). I then have to go disconnect the power from our modem, cable phone service and our router for at least 30 - 60 seconds. Our ISP is Comcast and I have two computers running Vista, two running XP and occasionally there is a Apple Computer on our network. Including a Wii utilizing the WiFi along with an XBOX 360 using it as well. The network is also encrypted with WPA

So the set up is as follows:

Modem -> AT&T Call Vantage Box -> Linksys WRT54G Router

So what could be causing this issue? Is Comcast throttling our connection and kicking us offline or something? I never had these problems with my old provider (Patriot Media). But unfortunately our old provider was bought by Comcast. The firmware in the Linksys Router is up to date (updated it about 2 - 3 weeks ago) so that shouldn't be an issue.

Oh and also is there any convenience in me running new wiring (upgrading) for my computers/phone service? For example right now were running on typical Cat 5 Ethernet Cables, would there be any need or reason to switch out those Cables for Cat 6? What are the advantages/disadvantages? A lot of the cables are old and probably need replacement by now.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Do you just lose internet access or does the connection to the router disconnect and reconnect? Have you turned logging on in the router to research what happens with things go haywire?

Do you just lose internet access or does the connection to the router disconnect and reconnect? Have you turned logging on in the router to research what happens with things go haywire?

It varies really. Some times it's I just lose internet access and then sometimes my wireless will connect and reconnect on occasion but it doesn't happen 247.

I don't have logging on at least I don't think I do. When I get home from work, I'll post again letting you know. It might be a while for things to go haywire as it's been a while since it's happen. I think maybe back when I originally posted this topic. I'll try to replicate it if I can but I can't promise anything.

meaning you are within the same range (say sitting in your house)all the time

Do you have a WAP(Wireless Access Point)
in your network?

Maybe the connection between the router and the ISP Modem is breaking or there could be a problem between your Computers connection to the router?

Just log into the routers firmware and try to power cycle it from there.

If that doesnot even work then check the signal strength on each computer.

Go to command prompt and ping the WAN IP address of the ISP Modem and the WAN IP address of router.

If the problem is between the ISP Modem and the router than definitely your connectivity by ping will break.

Also go to the command prompt of any computer connected with the router and ping this IP address 127.0.0.1

Just do this and let us know the result.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.