Wotcha, folks.

My first post, so please bear with me - I tend to ramble.

I've just set up a small network at work. 2 XP machines sharing a folder - no problems. I used the HomePlug network thingy here.

I want to write a small Visual Basic program that will share and update data accross this network.

The problem is, is that I can't figure out where to locate the data. The shared folder is located here:

//user/shared folder

....but that doesn't help when I want to load or save data to a specific place.

Is there a way I can dedicate a harddrive or a standalone machine to act as a server - and then refer to it as Z:? So that regardless of which networked machine you're at, saving data to Z: will always direct to that specific location / drive?

I hope this makes sense. As i say, i do tend to ramble when I'm confused.

Any way, look forward to any help that might pass this way.

Thanks for listening.

Jack.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Wotcha, folks.

My first post, so please bear with me - I tend to ramble.

I've just set up a small network at work. 2 XP machines sharing a folder - no problems. I used the HomePlug network thingy http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/dLAN/mldlanetheth.html

I want to write a small Visual Basic program that will share and update data accross this network.

The problem is, is that I can't figure out where to locate the data. The shared folder is located here:

//user/shared folder

....but that doesn't help when I want to load or save data to a specific place.

Is there a way I can dedicate a harddrive or a standalone machine to act as a server - and then refer to it as [b]Z:[/b]? So that regardless of which networked machine you're at, saving data to Z: will always direct to that specific location / drive?

I hope this makes sense. As i say, i do tend to ramble when I'm confused.

Any way, look forward to any help that might pass this way.

Thanks for listening.

Jack.

You should be able to map the shared folder to a designated drive. Try the following:

• Go to start, choose run, type in [url="file:///usersharedfolder"]usersharedfolder[/url], hit return. A window to your shared folder will pop up.
  • go to "Tools", choose map network drive.
  • Enter [url="file:///usersharedfolder"]usersharedfolder[/url] in the blank for folder
  • Ensure 'reconnect at logon' is checked
  • Continue through the drive map wizard.
  • Enjoy your network!

On a side note, I have problems on my 7 person LAN with people disconnecting their drives (deteting them because they are silly) so I've come up with a batch script that remaps network drives for me. I'll post it here for you to use. I drop it into startup and then it will detach and remap any drives that I need people to have access to. It's pretty simple and has worked for about 2 years now. Enjoy!

rem **********************************************
rem *        Please Wait............         *
rem *        Setting Up Network Drives.     *
rem *                                           *
rem **********************************************
rem
rem
@Echo Off
net use h: /d
net use h: \\computer\share1\here
net use s: /d
net use s: \\computer\share2\here

having had persistent drive mapping problems in the past too, I am stealing that snippet! Thanks TKS!

TKS - you are a life-saver, mate.

That did the job fantastically, just what I was after.

Again - thanks.

Jack.

Member Avatar for TKSS

NP Jack!

Let us here at Daniweb know if we can help you out with anything else!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.