Member Avatar for san_fran_crisko

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has PoE (power over Ethernet) in their house?

I am fed up with the reliability of WiFi in my house. I have gone through 3 routers and 5 PCI cards and have regular disconnections and average speeds of only 18Mbps.

Our ISP is currently upgrading their network and I'm due a speed boost from 2Mbit to 10Mbit this month sometime. At my current speeds over WiFi, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of 10Mbit.

Anyway, I like the sound of PoE but I had a few questions that I cannot find the answers to anywhere (even from the manufacturers):

--What is the speed of PoE connections? 100Mbps like a standard wired connection?

--What is the reliability of PoE? Do electrical devices cause connection issues etc...?

--Can you operate these on power strips or do you need a dedicated socket?

If anyone has any experience of PoE and could answer any of those questions, that would be great. I'm very interested in knowing if it actually works or not.

Thanks,

Ciaran.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Power over Ethernet or PoE technology describes a system to transfer electrical power, along with data, to remote devices over standard twisted-pair cable in an Ethernet network. This technology is useful for powering IP telephones, wireless LAN access points, network cameras, remote network switches, embedded computers, and other appliances where it would be inconvenient, expensive (mains wiring must often be done by qualified and/or licensed electricians for legal or insurance reasons) or infeasible to supply power separately. The technology is somewhat comparable to POTS telephones, which also receive power and data (although analog) through the same cable. It doesn't require modification of existing Ethernet cabling infrastructure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

You are asking about the wrong technology.

Member Avatar for san_fran_crisko

Thanks, I was getting mixed up. I think I've decided to go for this Ethernet/powerline option. 4 Wifi spots have popped up in the last few months on my street so it's only going to get worse!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.