Hello,
Please, I need some help if possible. I have setup my Belkin Wireless internet router and all my other laptops and desktop working beautiful! except the ibm thinkpad T40, can Anybody please tell me how to configuire this laptop to disable the internet utility so I can get the windows microsoft to confire to my prefered network which I have set up on the belkin router. The internet it says Iam connected has 98% strength but refuses to access the net, says page not available. I think its the cisco wireless lan adapter pci card which is being configured by the ibm utility I have updated the driver for the cisco wireless card. ipconfigs shows I am connected to Belkin Please help me out what Iam I doing wrong ?
I am a newbie with these IBM thinkpad t40's Appreciate any help in advance, seriously !
I did the disabling in the mac address and find that the cisco card ibm utility overrides everything I am totally lost Please help,

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If it says your connected at 98%, then it is probably just a DNS resolution problem, if you go into command prompt start->run->cmd and do 'ipconfig /all' what does it return?

You can also try to use 'ping' to see if you can hit the internet by using 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 (GTE's nameservers). If that works, try using those in the 'DNS' fields in the configuration tool and see if it allows you to use your web browser.

Thanks for helping
I tried what u suggested it comes back with the 4.4.4.1 and 4.4.4.2 as listed as dns servers i dismantled the access ability tool because it would not let windows configure the network but still won't connect to a browser fantastic strength also updated with latest drivers for cisco wireless lan adapter card
Iam starting to wonder if IBM has a problem or conflict with Belkin routers and they are not compatible
also someone asked if I thought maybe corrupt key registry files ?
I also unabled the firewalls and allowed for explorer access in the firewall but to no avail.
Anything else you could suggest?

I just noticed when I do ipconfig all on my sony laptop the only difference in the results aside from the wireless card is the
IBM is IP ROUTING ENABLED = yes
IBM is IP ROUTING ENABLED = NO
would this be bloking the web browser?

IP Routing should only really affect you if you have windows firewall enabled and are using it for a gateway for ICS (Internet connection sharing).

What error do you get when attempting to use windows to control the device?

I know this sounds silly, but make sure Work Offline is unchecked in your browser. This happened to me once, had everything set up right, coudldn't figure out why my browser wouldn't work, could ping out, and resolve dns, but no browsing. lol.

Hi sorry for the wait for my reponse went out to buy a toggle stick DLINK thought maybe the cisco card was old or brocken but again even with a toggle stick for wireless interneting could not get past "error can not display page.
It shows 100% signal in the access managerof the IBM which is supposed to regulate or configuire the wireless internet card I often wonder if I did'nt get the latest driver thats why it does'nt work but also I heard that IBM has issues with Belkin routers but I am ready to give up!
The DHCP is enabled and the
ip address is 192.168.2.5
submask is 255.255.255.0
defaultgateway is 192.168.2.1
when I try to ping it I get the message that the address is incorrect try again but if I key in that exact command on the desk top it gets 4 hits and 4 returns so Iam going wacky :(
I notice if I turn off the radio signal it turns itself back on and allows the cisco card to take over even though I try to get the internet through the DLINK toggle stick for wireless networking so I leave on the radio signal and disable the cisco card to let the dlink configuire great signal strength but still no browser?
I even tried to plug it straight into the modem which is coming straight from rogers the isp provider still no browser all firewalls disabled not even antivirus on the laptop just to satify myself that is is not a firewall ?
So if anyone can tell me what they think it is I would really enjoy hearing it I am a newbie, learning a lot and fast but I don't think I will ever understand an IBM
Please help me if anyone can, thanks in advance

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.