hieee to all ....

i got stuck with this problem ..... recently i took broadband cable connection (without ip addres / obtain automatically}
can we connect single internet to 2-3 pcs without using switch or router or hub

in simple words how can i create LAN for 2-3 pcs using cat 5

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hi
This can happen, however you going to need a router or switch. Because remember that there needs to be communication between the devices in order to be exposed to the WAN.

You can enable Internet Connection Sharing on a Windows Box, but you will need a hub, an extra NIC for each PC (in the ICS machine), or add wireless NIC on all machines. But... Why do that when a router on sale is only $20.

Yes techsheaven is right.

the good thing about router is that you don't have to keep 1 PC that shares the internet connection to be on or running to keep the other PCs connected to the internet. The router will do that.

can i split internet by fixing two or more cable to one

NO. what you call the internet cable is ethernet 10/100BaseT. It is actually a point to point full duplex balanced twisted pair connection. Meaning that it takes four wires in a point-to-point connection. It is not "multi-drop". It can only be connected between two points. i.e two computers of a computer and a hub/switch. (in 100BaseT, there are only switches - not hubs). The wiring for 10/100BaseT is called CAT5 (catagory 5). It has 4 twisted pairs (8 wires) so there is both a primary and secondary connection in the cable. However, NICS and Switches only use the primary.
You can use a "Splitter" at each end of the cable so that you would only have to run one cable for two connections. However, both halves of the split cable would need to be connected to a switch/router port.

I hope this helps you understand why you need the switch or router to connect to more PCs.

use a switch to do that

Did you resolve your issue? If you post the model of your cable modem, I will post links to any device(s) you need, explain everything you need to know.

i think the bigger question here is - why do you want to *avoid* using a router or switch? their function exactly fulfills your need. if we got an answer to that we might be able to help more.

Router or switch is the best option

i think the bigger question here is - why do you want to *avoid* using a router or switch? their function exactly fulfills your need. if we got an answer to that we might be able to help more.

+1 a router is what you are looking for. A switch won't work as its a dumb device but a router with a dhcp server on board is what you want. They are as common as chewing gum on a pavement and as cheap as chips

It's a BIG NO... it cant,,,,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.