Hello people,

I have this weird issue..

I have 2 lan connected home pcs

- win xp, lan, modem
- win 98, lan

the lan connection is tested and working, modem is working, provider proxy configured correctly, no irq conflicts, no firewall, no internet sharing problem, i just use wingate proxy on the first computer, however...

<--- PROBLEM --->
when i ENABLE the lan connection and connect to my dial up server, i get connected successfully, but i cant surf internet not from the main computer and nor the other, i cant send out or recieve in bits even. but when i DISABLE it, everything goes normal.

i think its an IP issue, all is ok except that i cant use internet and lan simultaneously, can anybody help?

thanx in advance

Hello people,
when i ENABLE the lan connection and connect to my dial up server, i get connected successfully, but i cant surf internet not from the main computer and nor the other, i cant send out or recieve in bits even. but when i DISABLE it, everything goes normal.

i think its an IP issue, all is ok except that i cant use internet and lan simultaneously, can anybody help?

thanx in advance

There shouldn't be any problem. I can't remember that there were any issues in dial-up connection being disabled while LAN enabled...

Yet, if I'm aiming in a wrong direction with supplied answer I humbly apologise...

The proxy thing is messing up my answer, simply because I'm not quite sure what is wingate proxy, except if it isn't all just about embedded proxy from LAN settings in IE... anyway - i'll try to aviod part of the answer where proxy should be considered... :cool:

So:

If you'd try to take a look into a TCP/IP settings of both network cards on both computers, and set both of them not to acquire IP addresses automatically, but assign to them addresses from following range:
192.168.0.xxx (xxx goes from 1 to 255), i.e.:
1. computer's IP address is 192.168.0.1
2. computer's IP address is 192.168.0.2

After that, I think you should have no problem in connecting to a dial-up server, and you can even try to establish ICS (internet connection sharing) between the two computers (regardless of thing that one is Win98 and other a XP)

Uupsss... just occured to me:
-did you said Windows 98? Hope you ment Windows 98 SE? Tell me it is SE... please...

Because, there're issues in TCP/IP communication between Win98 (non SE) and WinXP, at least AFAIK, and I know for sure those issues are getting solved by upgrading 98 to 98SE...

Well... that's for now... I'm aware it is a litle bit older post, but hope someone will find my answer usefull...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.