:?: i have a m.s. lan card for my gateway laptop & i have a microsoft ms 700 wireless modem connected into my cable modem. ? is, once i have my software loaded into my desktop, do i have to install the software for my m.s. wireless modem into my laptop for it to recognize it? :rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Do you know what underlying chipset that card uses? If you can find that out, then we can probably help out further.

Try searching Google for Linux to find that out-- while you're there, you might be able to even find out how to actually configure the device...

:rolleyes: dont exactly know what your talking about underlying chipset,but my gateway laptop solo 9300 model has a microsoft wireless lancard attached to it. i get a good signal, but can't get online. do i need to go in properties of my laptop lancard & select repair connection. also i would like to use my laptop at work w/ my wireless lancard instead of connecting my wired cable to the companies modem. i need to know how to go in & set my ip & gateway address from my laptop wireless card. can you help me? :)

...Moving thread to Networking. This seems the more appropriate place. Please specify what OS you are running, so others can assist you better.

Let me get a few details so I can fully understand what you are working with.

• What Operating System are you using?
  • The access point that you are trying to connect to is a Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station, correct?
  • Which Microsoft WiFi card are you using on the laptop? Please give me a specific model number.

Let me get a few details so I can fully understand what you are working with.

• What Operating System are you using?
  • The access point that you are trying to connect to is a Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station, correct?
  • Which Microsoft WiFi card are you using on the laptop? Please give me a specific model number.

windows xp pro on my gatway solo 9300. thanks but i figured it out on my own. simply studying the instruction guide. i simply had to go & enter my id into my wireless lancard by going into wizard setup that guided me right to it, pretty simple. thanks everyone for the help

i would like to know how to set up my wireless lancard, so i can use it away from home. tyied it at work about a mile away from my wireless router & got a poor signal & can't connect.

Wireless access points have a very limited range. The fact that you were able to get a signal at all from that range is amazing. Wireless networks are meant to be local solutions, not long-range solutions similar to cellphone networks. If you want to use a wireless connection away from home, you need to have a local access point to connect to.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.