Hi,

I purchased a Netgear wgt624 router and am having a difficult time setting it up. I use BellSouth DSL with a Westell B90 modem, and my PC has a Realtek RTL8139 NIC. When I run the setup I can't get any connectivity between the wired pc and the internet. All of the indicator lights seem fine, and I can even get connectivity thru the router from a PC that's got a wireless NIC in it. When I go into windows xp "my network places" and do repair on the connection, I get a message that there is an error in renewing IP address. The direct connection from the wired computer to the modem to the internet is fine, although each time that I try to install the router the settings get so screwed up that I have to run the BellSouth installation cd to correct them. I've tried the Netgear recommended power down & power back up sequence multiple times with no success. I've also tried completely uninstalling my antivirus & firewall thinking that might be the problem, but the results are the same. Does this sound familiar? ANY insight would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

let's make sure we're on the same page first:

1) DSL service
2) DSL connects to cable modem
3) cable modem connects to router
4) router connects wirelessly to pc#1 (Win XP): ok
5) router connects wired to pc#1: no connection

if that's not the case then post corrections, otherwise...

...when you're connected wired to pc#1 run ipconfig/all and post EVERYTHING that shows up - it's a lot of info.

take these steps to run ipconfig/all:

1) click start
2) click run
3) in the box type "cmd" (without quote marks) & then click the "ok" button - this will launch a DOS style window
4) if you're not at the "c:\" (without quote marks) prompt type "cd.." (without quote marks) & hit enter
5) repeat step above until you're at the "c:\" prompt
6) type "cls" (without quote marks) & hit enter
7) type "ipconfig/all" (w/o quote marks) & hit enter
8) record exactly what appears & post

Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the quick reply - looks like we are on the same page as far as 1 thru 5 in your reply goes. Here's the information I gathered. I actually have more than what you asked for, so if some of it is useless, please disregard it. I ran ipconfig/all 3 times - 1st time with a good connection of just wired PC & modem (no router); 2nd time with router connected but without running Netgear installation CD; 3rd time with router connected after running Netgear installation CD. Its an M: prompt because a few weeks ago ( before messing with the router at all) I did a clean install on a second drive (my M: drive) of XP Pro, and kept the C: drive in the computer for my data files, and now boot off of the M: drive.

Here goes...

1) with just pc & modem: (good connection)

M:>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name........................: george
Primary Dns Suffix...............:
Node Type........................: unknown
IP Routin Enabled................: No
WINS Proxy Enabled...............: No
DNS Suffix Search List...........: launchmodem.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix...: launchmodem.com
Description......................: Realtek RTL Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address.................: 00-0C-76-9D-36-78
Dhcp Enabled.....................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled........: Yes
IP Address.......................: 192.168.1.96
Subnet Mask......................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway..................: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server......................: 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers......................: 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained...................: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:27:48 PM
Lease Expires....................: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:27:48 PM

2) after powering down modem & powering back up w/router connected: (no connectivity)

Windows IP Configuration

Connection-specific DNS Suffix...:
Default Gateway..................: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server......................: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers......................: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained...................: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:05:15 PM
Lease Expires....................: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:05:15 PM

3) after running Netgear installation cd: (no coneectivity)

Windows IP Configuration

Connection-specific DNS Suffix...:
Default Gateway..................: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server......................: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers......................: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained...................: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:31:31 PM
Lease Expires....................: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:31:31 PM

That's all I've got, I hope it helps. Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me - I really appreciate it. If I missed anything or you need any additional info, please let me know.

Thanks!

let's make sure we're on the same page first:

1) DSL service
2) DSL connects to cable modem
3) cable modem connects to router
4) router connects wirelessly to pc#1 (Win XP): ok
5) router connects wired to pc#1: no connection

if that's not the case then post corrections, otherwise...

...when you're connected wired to pc#1 run ipconfig/all and post EVERYTHING that shows up - it's a lot of info.

take these steps to run ipconfig/all:

1) click start
2) click run
3) in the box type "cmd" (without quote marks) & then click the "ok" button - this will launch a DOS style window
4) if you're not at the "c:\" (without quote marks) prompt type "cd.." (without quote marks) & hit enter
5) repeat step above until you're at the "c:\" prompt
6) type "cls" (without quote marks) & hit enter
7) type "ipconfig/all" (w/o quote marks) & hit enter
8) record exactly what appears & post

Good Luck! :)

You're IP address is the same for all three connections ("IP Address.......................: 192.168.1.96"), which doesn't make sense. When you're connecting through a router you would get the 192.168.x.x type of (private) address, but, typically, when you're connecting from the computer directly to your cable modem you would get an assigned (public) IP address used to access your ISP's network. On the other hand, it looks like you're connecting through a DNS redirect ("launchmodem.com"), but I was not able to ping them in order to obtain an IP address.

Many cable modems will require a rest when you connect a different device to it - for instance if I'm using my desktop to connect but want to switch to my laptop, and I'm not running my router, I would need to shutdown both units (desktop & laptop), power down my cable modem for at least 15 seconds (technically anyway), power up my cable modem, wait for sync (when the lights on the modme tell me it's properly powered up and that it has both a receive and transmit connection to my ISP, but that it doesn't have a connection to my pc - which makes sense since at this point I haven't powered up my other computer), then power up the laptop, wait for the modem-to-pc connection indicator to go solid green (at least on my particular modem) and then connect to the internet. The process would be the same if I was going from one pc to a router as well.

You might want to check with your ISP to see if you need to reset the modem when switching from one device to another.

Thanks. Resetting the modem and restarting everything SLOWLY seems to have worked. I guess I need to work on my patience!

I'm still having some connectivity issues, but I assume that's probably something that needs to be changed in the settings. I'll search the threads on here for suggestions, as I'm probably not the only one who has had this problem.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.