Hello. I'm having a problem with my wireless network and can't seem to figure it out. And this is the only computer in the house that has this problem. If I check on my wireless internet speed, it says "11 Mbps"; however, it is supposed to go up to 54 Mbps. It's been like this for about 4 months, even after my father installed a wireless repeater nearby. The signal strength says "Excellent", but it won't go any higher than 11 Mbps. This has been giving me headaches when I try to play games like BF2 and WoW, because whenever I jump in, I will be pulled right out of BF2 servers. Either that, or every 10 seconds, "There is a problem with your connection" will appear. I have Comcast Digital Cable.

In case the problem might rest with some of my other hardware, here it is:

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB
1 GB RAM
AMD Athlon 3000
Creative Soundblaster Audigy

Thanks!

Your problem is one of two things. Either you are using an 802.11b adapter or you are plugging in a USB wireless adapter into a USB1.1 port on your computer.

The 802.11b standard is limited to 11Mbps throughput. In order to increase throughput, you will have to get a 802.11g wireless adapter.

The USB1.1 spec allows for a maximum throughput of about 12Mbps. I have a laptop that only has USB1.1 ports, and the wireless adapter on it always reports 11Mbps. If you have an 802.11g wireless adapter, you can get full throughput by connecting it to a USB2 port. If you don't know if you have any USB2 ports or if you don't know which ones are, tell me the manufacturer name and model number of your computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.