Hi, Looking for suggestions here
I have two locations with two pc's at each....both ;locations have highspeed internet access. I need to set up file sharing and printer sharing between the two locations......any suggestions as to how to proceed? at one end is XP, at the other end is ME

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Setup a VPN tunnel to connect the two locations, which will provide access to network resources on both ends. There's all kinds of commercial boxes you can get for that, or you could do it yourself if you know Linux/UNIX.

Thank you Ogre, I appreciate the reply.

No I don't know linux unfortunatley, when you say commercial box's do you mean premade vpn servers (something like a router) and if thats the case, would I need one at both ends or just at one end?

How coincidental that we just learned tunneling in my Unix networking course last night. In any case, I think this can be done a simpler way as well. I remember a few years back a friend and I were both on the same cable modem connection, and we were able to set up a WAN between our two houses to be in the same Windows workgroup. I don't at all remember how it was done - but unfortunately I think it required that we both be on the same cable modem provider.

You can get a LinkSys (or DLink, Netgear, etc.) VPN Server/router for both ends, which will create the VPN tunnel. Once connected, you can share files/print as if all 4 machines were on the same LAN.

Super!, I'll try that this weekend and let you know......Thanx for the assistance!!!

No problem :)

No I don't know linux unfortunatley, ...

I suggest trying OpenVPN...it's easy to install and has a lot of info on how to config it.

I didn't suggest OpenVPN because he doesn't know Linux. It may be easy to install and configure, but if you don't know the host O/S, it's worthless.

hi all
please suggest me a solution for connecting two LAN network having a distance of 2 kilometers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.