i'm a network guy so that's what i was looking for to help resolve, but since u dont have one... ...btw, do u have an "index.htm" or "home.htm" page for the site in the "Cabinet" directory?

...it redirects to http://69.115.43.20:5906/Cabinet/ on my machine...

Yes, I have an index.htm page. Thanks for the help anyways.

They do block. I have changed my ports and use a dns service to get around this.

Lets say you changed the port of your web server to 11111.

Set your linksys router to port forward 11111 to that machine. In the newer versions, you can use the UPnP to redirect 80 to 11111, but since 80 is blocked, this does nothing.

All you have to do now is create a webforward on your dns provider. Be sure that it is cloaked so the name stays the same.

Basically I am trying to do the same thing you just mentioned but it is not working. I have a linksys router "befsr41 V3". I am unsure what to use port forwarding or port triggering in my router. I use dnydns dynamic dns service to try to accomplish the whole thing, even though my IP never changes with optimum online. My router compains that my domain is incorrect. "Status: Domain Name incorrect". I put in mydomain.com as my domain name on my router. When i do a whois it finds it, so i know that part is correct. I think i have some configurration issues with dyndns. I don't know i jus need some help. patrcilarly with setting up the webhop. the only hosts i need is mydomain.com and the only CNAME i need is www.mydomain.com, correct?

Also in the router, under the DDNS tab, what should I put as the host name, should i make one special for the router and then what should i make it available as a host or a cname on dyndns's servers.

I have Optimum Online with a Linksys router running IIS 5.1 on Windows XP Pro. I set my port in IIS to be 3390. I setup port forwarding on my Linksys to forward 3390 to my statically assigned IP (192.168.7.51). I registed a domain name with Dyndns.org. When I would enter mydomainname.dyndns.org:3390 in a web browser (on an external network of course), I was getting a "Page Cannot be Displayed" error message.
It took me about an hour to figure out that I needed to add the new port number to the "Exceptions" list in the Windows Firewall which was installed and enabled by default with SP2. I feel silly.

My friend has OOL and I have configured his WEB HOSTING

check it out: [=RP=] CLAN

I use PORT 8111...been running for 2 years now...using deerfield (DNS2GO).

right now I am working on his email server....using mailenable.com

My friend has OOL and I have configured his WEB HOSTING

check it out: [=RP=] CLAN

I use PORT 8111...been running for 2 years now...using deerfield (DNS2GO).

right now I am working on his email server....using mailenable.com

Were you able to get this to work? I believe OOL started blocking SMTP port 25 both incoming and outgoing. I can no longer send from my work email address when I bring my laptop home.

I have an exchange server setup at home and am unable to telnet to port 25 from outside my network. So I think its being blocked.

still struggling but mailenable has feature say if port 25 is block you can redirect to 26 something like that...

check their site...www.mailenable.com

This is very common with any mailserver, all you need to do is setup an alternate SMTP port, if anyone is running cpanel to manage thier server, it is like 3 clicks, or for windows MailEnable is just one configuration change.

I am running windows server 2000. I am trying to publish a data base. But I have to change the default port 80 0n the Internet Informatiom Services(IIS). On the server I open the Internet Services Manager(under admin tools) Once this is open On the left I see my server. when I right click on it and hit properties. I can see the master properties then I click edit. Which brings me to the WWW Service Master Properties for my server. This is where I have my problem. Under Web Site Identification I CANNOT change the tcp port or the ip address. Yes I can see it IP address (AllUnassigned) and TCP port 80. They are greyed out. I have hit google and reviewed most of that. I have disabled the socket pooling in IIS.
Is there something in the config that I missed? Any info would be great.

Brian

As Far as I know Cablevision does indeed block port 25, and possibly port 80, but not other ports that Im aware of.

Just to run it past you -- running ANY kind of web server/chat server on your residential Optimum Online connection is a violation of the terms of service, so by doing so ,youre risking having your net shut off entirely at their discretion. You'll need to upgrade to optimum business package to *legally* run your own home server (which about doubles your monthly bill).

But anyways, having done something similar myself.

The problem here I think (at leas thow it was for me anyways) was a port forwarding issue, initially on the router where i had to have the correct ports forward to my machine (so that incoming from the WAN ip was routed t omy LAN ip on the right port), and also had to allow the ports to be opened on my comp itself (software firewalls, say Zone Alarm or windows firewall).

Well it is a buisness account for my office and it is more than double my house account. What I have been doing is setting up a server at my house doing the configs so I dont mess up my office server and my business database. Once it is configed I will swap out the server with the one at my office I wont be hosting anything at my house. At my office I can see my database on any computer by typing Ip address of server. Just cant see it from the outside world. I am using Filemaker server Advanced database, hosted on windows server 2000, IIS. I believe I have most of it config. But The Filemaker software wants to use port 591, and IIS likes port 80.

I'm trying to access port 3389 via xp pro's remote desktop. Does anyone know if Cablevision optimum online blocks port 3389? I don't think so since I was able to run a port query that shows that port 3389 is listening while others are being filtered. I also use a linksys router that forwards anything coming in on 3389 to my local IP 192.168.1.102.
Thanks,
Jason

This thread is over a year old. OptOnline does now indeed block port 25 and port 80. They do not block any other ports, as far as I'm aware.

3389 is not blocked, and I use it everyday.

This thread is over a year old. OptOnline does now indeed block port 25 and port 80. They do not block any other ports, as far as I'm aware.

3389 is not blocked, and I use it everyday.

Are you still using it every day? Everything was working fine for a few months until yesterday. It seemed to stop for me yesterday. Is everything working ok for the rest of you?

Jason

You can setup a web server. All you need to do is register your domain name with a InterNic type service or anyone else that can do it. Go to deerfield.com and get a membership for $20 for the year. Enter their (deerfield.com) DNS addresses where ever you registered you domain name. Download DNS2GO software from deerfield.com and configure it. Set the port to anything like 9765 or any weird number like that. Once you run the software will it will ask you for a key enter it once completed it should work.

The reason why you need deerfield.com is because cablevision uses DHCP and the addresses change. So what DNS2GO does is update your information realtime so this way your site is always up even if the address changes. Hope this helps.

I think he's talking about getting a static internal IP, instead of being assigned one via DHCP. In this case, it is very preferable to be static ;-). Also 192.168. is his abbreviation for a 192.168.x.x IP, so don't pick on him :confused: .

Hey Guys, I have had the same problems like in original post.
Here is what i Did:

1. Set up your local network with static IP's for every computer, hell of the job especially if you have more than 10 PC's :cheesy:
2. Set up an Apache server to one of your local computers, Set it up like it's for local network use only.(i did: Host address - 192.168.1.102:80)
3. Configure router to forward all requests from outside port: 666,999,555.... any, to your computer with apache server 192.168.102:80.
4.And you now have configured server which will propertly work. Outside address is kind of shitty something like this http://Your IP:999. But it works for me. Or you can get use DNS forwarding like www.no-ip.com

Here is the attachment with router config!

I want to configure it somehow else, but Optimum i guess really blocking 80th port. Any ideas??

Oh by the way anyone can check the working of the server here: http://whom.no-ip.org:999 have lots of videoclips giving it for free :cheesy:

hey i just joined so i could as this question, im trying to run a online radio, called SHOUTcast (through winamp), and for some reason, it just won't connect, it goes through Port 8000 and im not sure whether thats blocked by my router (linksys wireless-g WRK54G) or my ISP (Optimum online) can anyone help me?

hey i just joined so i could as this question, im trying to run a online radio, called SHOUTcast (through winamp), and for some reason, it just won't connect, it goes through Port 8000 and im not sure whether thats blocked by my router (linksys wireless-g WRK54G) or my ISP (Optimum online) can anyone help me?

Optimum doesn't block any requests for radio server. I did setup Shoutcast radio server myself. Same thing you only have to setup proper port forwarding for your server. ShoutCast uses ports 8000,8001. you have to forward port 8001 as well as 8000. Also make sure that in your winamp plugin you have the right address in the output configuration.
Good luck :p

Is there any way someone could post a step by step tutorial on setting up a home server on Cabelvision?

yep they dont allow you to use your account as a server .however if you pay $10 more a month they will allow incoming traffic into your network. I moved to verizon fios is a much better network and much much easier to set up as a server even using port 80 and or a server name for a cheaper price.

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.