Issue: I need example.no-ip.org to point to example.no-ip.org:20202

I have read that this is not possible with just DNS.
However no-ip.org lets me set up DNS SRV (records?).
Ive have followed this guide to set it up, but it does not redirect to IP : PORT

http://www.no-ip.com/support/guides/other/configuring_srv_records_with_no-ip.html#1

Still cant get it to work. example.no-ip.org only points to the IP, no port.

Q: Is it possible to do what i describe?
Q2: How? Is it just my SRV setup that is messed up?

Here is a screenshot after creating the records(?):
http://i43.tinypic.com/219b6om.jpg
(five was the default level of priority)

Thanks to anyone who bothered reading this, or can provide help!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Not possible with DNS. What you would need to do is do the redirect on the web site itself. So, have the website listen on port 80, then do a redirect to port 20202. Redirects can be done at the website configuration, via a URL rewrite, meta tag "refresh" or via code such as with server side scriting (asp.net, php, etc...).

Thanks for your reply ITG-JM!

At the moment i just have a Host redirect at no-ip.org. So the adress itself just points to a IP. I guess it would cost extra to get the adress as a website.

I cannot use website listen, because the adress is used in a application (minecraft) wich by default uses port 25565. This leads them onto a different server.

I find it abit wierd these systems (DNS) has these limitations.

SRV records aren't designed to do that. SRV helper records can send traffic to a specific host based on destination port, but can't redirect that port.

For example, if you have a dns zone called sip.company.com, clients can use that zone as the registrar address. Behind the scenes you setup SRV record so that anyone who requests sip.company.com and is looking for tcp 5060 will be sent to server1.sip.company.com.

Thanks for the information CimmerianX!

How can i best phrase the question? (im also seeking help on other forums)
Are the glorious serverdays over? or is there anyway i can solve the problem?

Sounds to me like you want an IP port forward. You would need something in between the 2 devices to take the originating request and redirect the port to the new host's port.

Many consumer routers/firewalls can do this right out of the box.

For a host, you can look at squid proxy or even just IPTables.

Just to be clear, there are two servers set up behind the same external IP. Server A has been portforwarded in the router with the clients default port. So when people use his adress (a) they get onto his server, but also when they use my adress (b) they also get to his server (a).

Im trying to get the adress example.no-ip.org (hereby exampleB.no-ip.org) to point to server B.

Sorry for the crappy explanations. Also i should have included all this information from the start.

Here is a more visual explanation to the problem:

Minecraft users group A (def.port:25565) -> exampleA.no-ip.org -> server external IP w/def.port --> end up on server A

Minecraft users group B (def.port:25565) -> exampleB.no-ip.org -> server external IP w/def.port --> end up on server A

Servers:
A w/port 25565 - portforwarded in router to A
B w/port 20202 - portforwarded in router to B

Web redirect only works with port 80? Is there any other way to make it so all who goes to exampleB.no-ip.org:25565 gets redirected to exampleB.no-ip.org:20202?

In your router config, just create another port forwarding rule that listens on port 20202 and maps that to server B. The only issue here is that your clients will have to absolutely send the traffic to your public IP destined on port 20202 or whatever other port you want. It just can be the same port that you are using to map to server A.

Alternatively, if you can get your ISP to give you another public IP, and your router allows for a configuration of two public IPs, then each IP can map directly back to one server each.

Sorry to necro this post, but for anyone finding this post in future, the latest Minecraft version (the 1.3 prerelease at the time of writing) now supports DNS SRV records (Source). This would allow genesis.aix to do what he is trying to do, i.e.

exampleA.no-ip.org -> 123.45.67.89:25565 (default port)

exampleB.no-ip.org -> 123.45.67.89:20202 (non-default port, but users only need to type the DNS name)

As with the above user sorry to be talking in an ancient post (expecting some sort of punishment)

but i have been trying to do the same thing for about a week now with no success. TerrorBite, you said that with SRV this would now be possible.

I have tried setting up the records but the server is unable to resolve the hostname. I can provide examples of what ive done but would it be possible for you to explain a little further how i can achieve what the OP was attempting?

SRV records are not designed for this. Respectfully....TerrorBite statement about SRV records does not apply to this scenario.

If you have a similar situation where you have to resources on your local network behind a public IP address, your option is to create two port forwarding records on your router and then access each resource either by http://hostname:IPport, or by http://ipaddress:IPport.

The alternative is to do URL redirection, but DNS does not do that type of function. You would need some type of web service to perform this redirection. For example...

http://hostname1 --> redirects to http://hostname2:IPport.

SRV records are not designed for this. Respectfully....TerrorBite statement about SRV records does not apply to this scenario.

If you have a similar situation where you have to resources on your local network behind a pu

Can you offer a solution to this? I personally would like to set up 20-25 minecraft servers with each of them having its personal subdomain instead of domain.com:25568, xxx.domain.com(:255565)

Thanks

yes, have 20-25 public IPs, each assigned to each server, or each NAT'd to a private IP address or each server.

BorderKeeper
http://wiki.multiplay.co.uk/Minecraft/Hostnames

This is supposed to explain how to use srv. i havnt got this working yet but i think this is due to the way plesk (gah) is handling my dns ... you may have more luck.

Unfortunately other than knowing that JorgeM is right that SRV isnt a redirect as such i dont know enough about how they do work to provide a tutorial ...

Hope the link helps

Ok, took a quick look at RickDukane's link.

To clarify some more... DNS SRV records are not used for redirection. If you have a client application that understands SRV records, then they can be used to connect to a resource just by having the host name defined in the application. This is because the client application is expecting to do a lookup for an SRV record and it will take care of pulling the appropriate information from the response (ip address of the target, port, etc...).

This is not a redirect. Maybe the term redirect is being used generically and that is where the confusion may be.

There are tons of applications that use SRV records to locate resources. Some of them do not even require the need to specify any hostname information in the application. In this case, when the application starts, it does a lookup for a specific "reserved" name in the DNS zone.

netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listenport=80 listenaddress=37.97.196.186 connectport=83 connectaddress=37.97.196.186

It's possible to use srv records for minecraft. Record name - your domain ip, service - "_minecraft", port - your server port, target - "a" record to your ip

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.