Heres what I got:
Linksys WRT54G router
Seimans SPeedstream 4100 ADSL modem
SBC DSL ISP

Up until earlier this week I had a SS 5360 modem and it worked fine with my Linksys router, never had a problem. Then this week my modem dies. I get sent a new one from my ISP, a SS4100. Now my router cannot get an internet connection.

I can get an internet connection with my computer directly connected to the modem with the modem in PPPoE mode on the modem. I connect fine.

I add in the router, I set the modem to PPPoE on the PC(middle option) and set the router to connect through PPPoE, store my username and password and it will connects, but gives me the following:
IP:70.229.206.115(dynamic address changes everytime I reconnect)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.255
default gateway: 70.229.207.254

When I connect to just the modem, I get a mask of 255.255.255.0

Any ideas why I am getting an incorrect mask and who is to blame for the problem(SBC or Linksys)?

router firmware version: 1.00.6

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I recently had an issue like this with one of my clients at work. Unfortunately, our solution was to replace the router. We were using the linksys wrt54g ver. 5 with the latest firmware and a westell 6100 modem through bellsouth though. But it sounds like it may be the same thing.

You may be able to use your existing hardware though. Can you configure the modem to handle PPPoE, handing out natted ips, then change the LAN ip scheme on the linksys to 192.168.5.1? This may work for you.

You need to put your 4100 into "bridge mode" when running it with a router.
Type in the ip address of your speedstream 4100 into your brower, for the password use the code on the sticker on the bottom of the router. Select the bridge mode radio button and save. The 4100 will reboot and yoru will be back in business.

-Brian

Heres what I got:
Linksys WRT54G router
Seimans SPeedstream 4100 ADSL modem
SBC DSL ISP

Up until earlier this week I had a SS 5360 modem and it worked fine with my Linksys router, never had a problem. Then this week my modem dies. I get sent a new one from my ISP, a SS4100. Now my router cannot get an internet connection.

I can get an internet connection with my computer directly connected to the modem with the modem in PPPoE mode on the modem. I connect fine.

I add in the router, I set the modem to PPPoE on the PC(middle option) and set the router to connect through PPPoE, store my username and password and it will connects, but gives me the following:
IP:70.229.206.115(dynamic address changes everytime I reconnect)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.255
default gateway: 70.229.207.254

When I connect to just the modem, I get a mask of 255.255.255.0

Any ideas why I am getting an incorrect mask and who is to blame for the problem(SBC or Linksys)?

router firmware version: 1.00.6

You need to put your 4100 into "bridge mode" when running it with a router.
Type in the ip address of your speedstream 4100 into your brower, for the password use the code on the sticker on the bottom of the router. Select the bridge mode radio button and save. The 4100 will reboot and yoru will be back in business.

-Brian

Your quite right about bridge mode but i would normally put the router in bridge mode not the modem, i'm not familiar with this modem though most modems aren't configurable!:!:

I have the 4100B, which I just got from att when I signed up for DSL. The bridge mode suggestion got me on the right track. You can configure the router's PPP mode. It's under the advanced options I think. The 3 options that i saw were "PPP on router", "PPP on computer", and bridged mode. The PPP on computer has a description which says something along the lines of the PPPoE is done on the computer or router. That's the one I picked and after the restart, it worked perfectly

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.