I'm wondering if this would be possible, I've currently got 4 computers, including my xbox 360, and I would like to replace my router with a 8 port switch. I believe my modem is capable of performing NAT and DHCP services. Would this setup work? Would I still be able to share an internet connection between the computers.

Modem=Speedstream 5200

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Don't know about the modem, but if it is capable of performing as a NAT router, you can easily use it with a hub/switch.

I have used this configuration with Alcatel 510, ECI 270, ECI 312+, Aztech (some model) and several others.

All you need to do is configure the workstations to use the modem/router's IP as gateway.

I'm not so sure I would give up the protection of a router for more ports. You can always plug a switch into the router and get the extra ports without having to do any additional configuration.

I'm not so sure I would give up the protection of a router for more ports. You can always plug a switch into the router and get the extra ports without having to do any additional configuration.

if the computers connected to the switch are all behind the router, the protection is still there

The router and switch are not interchangable. The router directs traffic between networks. Your router also provides the DHCP services on your home network. A switch only makes intelligent forwarding on a single network. If you are out of interfaces on your router you can connect the switch to the router. Depending on the model of the switch it may support media detection or have an uplink interface that would be used to connect to the LAN side of the router. If your switch doesn't have these features you will need to connect the two devices using a crossover cable.
Please let me know if you need additional assistance in your network setup.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.