I have tried to call Compaq, and they said I needed to configure my new computer to be able to share files and printers with my other 2 computers. I have a wireless network set up. I ran the small business and home wizard, as well as the wireless network wizard and for some reason just this computer doesn't show up. Now what is this configuration they are talking about. Anyone that knows what to do please, Help me. Thank You

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have tried to call Compaq, and they said I needed to configure my new computer to be able to share files and printers with my other 2 computers. I have a wireless network set up. I ran the small business and home wizard, as well as the wireless network wizard and for some reason just this computer doesn't show up. Now what is this configuration they are talking about. Anyone that knows what to do please, Help me. Thank You

Right click on my computer go to computer name and change the workgroup. Make sure they are the same on all machines and make sure they are all set to DHCP aswell as the router. After you have restarted all the machines now go to my network places and go to microsoft windows network. You should see your workgroup there. You may have to create an account with the same name as the one you will use on each machine and give it admin rights if you no what i mean:eek:

what is DHCP

what is DHCP

DHCP is where an ip address is assigned to a machine by a DHCP server this can be another pc or a router. If you go to your wireless connection on each PC, then go to properties, then go to TCP/IP properties, then tick "Obtain IP address automatically" then click OK. this will set your machines up to receive their IP address up via DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol). If you have a wireless router that should be set to be the DHCP server by default but check in the settings just to be sure.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.