Sorry, but my question requires a long-winded explanation. Because of where we live, my wife and I cannot get decent broadband except through a satellite package which recently went down for two days. It leaves us totally isolated since the phone is also satellite and we get no mobile reception here either. So calling any technical support or anyone is almost impossible!! So we will get a landline installed but the basic broadband costs only marginally more and would be useful as back up when the satellite package goes down, though it's only 1- 5 Mb/s instead of 45 Mb/s. Rather than use wireless both my wife and I connect to our computers through Home Plugs which work well for us. My question is this. If both the landline broadband and satellite broadband are connected to a homeplug, what will I get when I connect my computer to my homeplug . . . a scrabbled mess or two distinct LAN connections that I can choose at random?

It will do what you design it to do. Since the equipment is not known, then I can't predict what will happen.

There are MANAGED SWITCHES (a basic staple of networking so I won't duplicate what they do here) that could assist but as I don't have all the details I'll only write that it might be needed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.