I just got a Linksys Wireless-G USB 2.0 Adapter with Speedbooster
to connect to my 2WIRE router (which I got through SBC). Everything installed fine and it says the connection is enabled, shows me the status and everything. But when I go to open an Internet browser, nothing happens... "page cannot be displayed," et cetera. Anyone know how I can fix this and why this is happening??

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Try renewing your DHCP lease... or are you sure that a Firewall isn't interfering?

Try renewing your DHCP lease... or are you sure that a Firewall isn't interfering?

I don't think a firewall is interrupting because there is no firewall security installed on that computer...

to connect to my 2WIRE router

Ah, so your internet is going through 2 routers before it gets to the modem? Well, if that's the case, can you access the "gateway" router? Can you access the config page?

Well, so far, I'll be able to browse websites for only a few minutes and then it drops the connection. **in the process of trying to configure the 2WIRE** I know others suggested that if it doesn't work right out of the box, return it. I really don't feel like going through that. (sigh)

Well, so far, I'll be able to browse websites for only a few minutes and then it drops the connection. **in the process of trying to configure the 2WIRE** I know others suggested that if it doesn't work right out of the box, return it. I really don't feel like going through that. (sigh)

You should at least try with another type of router. Perhaps a friend has a spare Linksys or D-Link router that you could borrow? Then at least you would know what's the culprit.

I suppose you're right. I recently switched ISP's and my previous router is a Linksys (I have no idea why the sales rep. sent me a router instead of a modem, but oh well). I've just finished with Linksys tech support, needless to say, it takes them 24hrs to realize they cannot help you.

I have no idea why the sales rep. sent me a router instead of a modem, but oh well

Haha, I wouldn't trust your sales rep if I were you...

Haha, I wouldn't trust your sales rep if I were you...

You never know what kind of person you have for a sales rep. when it's over the phone. Well, I'll be sending back the damn Linksys USB adapter. I actually pulled out my Linksys Wireless G Router to see if I'd have more of a stable connection since it's the same brand, but the connection was actually worse...

I really hate going through loops, I'm frustrated already, so I guess it doesn't make a difference. I suppose I should try and look for an adapter by 2WIRE, eh? (BTW, my old man rubbed it in my face and said it'd be better to just keep it all wired... I don't think such networks exist???!)

I suppose I should try and look for an adapter by 2WIRE, eh?

I guess, although up until now, I always favoured Linksys...

BTW, my old man rubbed it in my face and said it'd be better to just keep it all wired... I don't think such networks exist???!

They do, although they tend to be much smaller networks... with wireless there is almost no limit to the number of computers that can connect, plus it's way easier than wiring. Hardwired does have 2 BIG advantages over wireless, though: 1. It's much easier to maintain, 2. It's much faster. However, I would rather not hardwire my laptop....

Yeah, I figured out the safety and speed of wired networks a bit ago. I wouldn't have the heart to ever setup a laptop through a wired network... it would lose the point of having a laptop anyhow. Well, I suppose I'm going to go on and look for an extensive cat 5 wire. God, this is going to be messy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.