I have a new MacBook with 10.4.8.

I have a Linksys WRT54G Router.

The problem ->

I cannot connect to the internet wirelessly or through Ethernet with my MacBook and the router. The uninterrupted cable modem to MacBook connection is fine.

1. I have tried manually entering IP address, Subnet Mask, and Router address copied from an iBook that was succesfully connected by ethernet cable. I cannot connect through the ethernet cable with the MacBook.

2. I have 'connected' to my password-protected wireless network. The Airport bar is full. It says: "Status: Connected." In network preferences, I get green lights. But when I open web browsers or other apps, I get 'You are not connected to the internet.'

3. If you believe this is a hopeless situation. Could you recommend a router that is not LinkSys, relatively inexpensive, and known for working well with both PCs and Macs (I have to connect two PCs and a Mac, all wierelessly, in my home).

Thanks

Mike

Since you're using a Linksys router, I suspect you need a DHCP-assigned IP address. Also, your IP address should not be in the range of 169.254.x.x, as that means your card is recieving an IP address through its connection. If it happens, press the "Renew DHCP client" button in the System Preferences->Network->TCP/IP panel.

Below, I have attached how it should look.

Hope this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.