In trying to map a network drive from "My Computer" and then "Map Drive", it's not finding my shared folder on my old laptop. Basically I'm trying to map a drive on my new laptop to the "C" drive on my old laptop to share data between them.
I know that my old laptop is named "JohnsLaptop" and the shared "C" drive is named C$. The "C" drive has the little hand under it, so I know it's being shared. However, it doesn't show up when I browse for it or when I type it in explicitly. I'm typing
\\JohnsLaptop\C$

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In trying to map a network drive from "My Computer" and then "Map Drive", it's not finding my shared folder on my old laptop. Basically I'm trying to map a drive on my new laptop to the "C" drive on my old laptop to share data between them.
I know that my old laptop is named "JohnsLaptop" and the shared "C" drive is named C$. The "C" drive has the little hand under it, so I know it's being shared. However, it doesn't show up when I browse for it or when I type it in explicitly. I'm typing
\\JohnsLaptop\C$

Any ideas?

From what I recall, you can't use the C$ "default share" in order to share a drive - you'll need to create a new share and use that instead. My best guess is that C$ is something to do with resource sharing for local users rather than remote ones.

commented: Helpful +1

From what I recall, you can't use the C$ "default share" in order to share a drive - you'll need to create a new share and use that instead. My best guess is that C$ is something to do with resource sharing for local users rather than remote ones.

Yeah, I found out that the $ in a drive or folder name is meant to hide it from users trying to map from a folder. You have to map from a drive to get to a share with a $ in the name.

I think I've solved my other problems. Now I'm just dealing with a dying router. :cheesy:

Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.