Hello guys,

Have a quick question on configuring a VPN. I was trying to configure VPN on my local machine (Win XP), so that i can access my machine anywhere else. Please correct me if i am wrong because i am just beginner in this.

In order to use the VPN we got to have VPN server configures on my local machines so that it can get all the incoming VPN calls from the clients. My problem is here.

This is how my home networking infrastructure look like. I have Linksys router(WRT54G). Behind that we got totally 3 system on IP ranges from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.102. For the information i have opened the VPN port 1723 on my router to accept the incoming calls. Is there anymore ports which need to opened??

When i try to configure my VPN serve we will be asked to enter the IP address. I have read tutorials on the web but i dint understand. May be u all can help me. By default most the tutorial say that select the DHCP option. Some say to give static IP address.

Can any one explain me why do need to have an IP address there. Which is the best way is it Dynamic or static. More over from the remote Mahican how do I connect to my home PC. Which IP address should I use. Is that the IP address given by the ISP. That is nothing much WAN IP address or something else which need to be entered while it ask me for the Host IP address on connecting to my home PC.

Thanks very much guys. Sorry for the lengthy post.

ssharish2005

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I am not sure if your router has VPN passthrough but it is not easy to config it becuase you need to setup VPN tunnel etc and it is very slow if your broadband is <512k.

If you have static IP you may able to use VNC to access your PC from anywhere. Or try www.logmein.com

I'd use logmein, you think VPN is one thing but it's actually another. VPN let's clients connect to your network through a VPN tunnel, so you have a Virtual Netowork, which isn't the same as remote controlling a pc.

I am not sure if your router has VPN passthrough but it is not easy to config it becuase you need to setup VPN tunnel etc and it is very slow if your broadband is <512k.

If you have static IP you may able to use VNC to access your PC from anywhere. Or try www.logmein.com

Thanks exp328 for the reply. well, my internet connection is 2Mb downsstream. I guess wouldn't that enough for the VNP. I am just trying to play along with it. i dont have any serious use of it.

And i dont have static IP address, i guess DHCP server for my IP address. My router acts as a DHCP router.

Sorry can i ask you what are those setting which need to be made in the router to access th vpn. So far what i have done is just open port 1723 to direct to my system.

ssharish2005

I'd use logmein, you think VPN is one thing but it's actually another. VPN let's clients connect to your network through a VPN tunnel, so you have a Virtual Netowork, which isn't the same as remote controlling a pc.

Thanks TheNNS for the reply. Well i know VPN is not a remote controller to control a PC. For this i use reomte desktop. I havn't tried logmenin. I will have to try that.

ssharish2005

Thanks exp328 for the reply. well, my internet connection is 2Mb downsstream. I guess wouldn't that enough for the VNP. I am just trying to play along with it. i dont have any serious use of it.

And i dont have static IP address, i guess DHCP server for my IP address. My router acts as a DHCP router.

Sorry can i ask you what are those setting which need to be made in the router to access th vpn. So far what i have done is just open port 1723 to direct to my system.

ssharish2005

Port 1723 is for PPTP pass through. From my experience PPTP is very slow but easy to config. Try to see if your router actually has VPN pass through. Some Linksys router can use Linksys client and make the job a lot easier but perfer to have static Ip or you have to use DDNS.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.