Hello all,
I'm new to the forum scene, (posting at least) as I normally will try endlessly to figure out a problem before I ask for help. Here is my situation:

Have a home network with 2 XP Machines. M1 and M2 (for names sake) running behind a D LInk wireless G router. M1 is 10/100 LANed into the router, while M2 went WiFi. I've configured the home networking protocols on both machine, confirming the TCP IP settings, IP addressing and subnetting, same workgroup, I have the same user name on both machines. Here's the odd part..I can see both machines in my Win Exploder, I mean Explorer windows. Both are seen thru my router. I've got a http/ftp server and IP DUC running on M1 that I can access via the internet perfectly. I can even go so far as to remote into M1 via M2 and have total flawless access across my home network. What I can't do however is simply browse M1 from M2, but I can browse M2 from M1 just fine (have already mapped network drives that direction) I've also confirmed my firewall is not the issues, as I've disabled it and ensure that the proper exceptions were in place for MS File and Print sharing. Oh, here's another fun part.. I can access the printer on M1 from M2 just fine as well. I'm sorry about the lengthy post, I just want to confirm I'm not missing anything, otherwise I'll feel that I've let down the CIsco Net Academy

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

enagib-

Quick thought: Have you shared anything from M1? Even M2's ability to access a shared printer on M1 makes sense; but if M1 hasn't offered any shares to the workgroup, hmmmm. (Could look at shares in Computer Mgt.)

Good luck,
Ken

Oh, sorry, forgot to include that as part of my settings. Yes, indeed I do have both drives and subfolders shared. I've about entirely exploited M1 to any damage from a PC on my network (I've blocked external WAN access to it less the aformentioned FTP and HTTP ports

enagib-

Quick thought: Have you shared anything from M1? Even M2's ability to access a shared printer on M1 makes sense; but if M1 hasn't offered any shares to the workgroup, hmmmm. (Could look at shares in Computer Mgt.)

Good luck,
Ken

Hmf... could you post your permissions for the folders which you have set up?

any error messages?

Hmf... could you post your permissions for the folders which you have set up?

any error messages?

Thanks for the help. The error message is "Access denied. Check with the system admin to verify that you have access to this computer" Since I'm running Xp Pro on M1 and XP media center on M2 , I don't have individualized permission settings as you would on Win2K. the folders are all set to share with the workgroup. I don't per se have a domain name set up on my system, as it's just me on them, and I'm not too sure how to set that up yet.

Thanks again,

Not familiar with media center settings, but I do know that XP defaults to a restrictive set of permissions. Check just to humor me, as that is a very typical error message in result of restrictive permissions ;)

Do you have a user account setup on the PC you're trying to access?

Not familiar with media center settings, but I do know that XP defaults to a restrictive set of permissions. Check just to humor me, as that is a very typical error message in result of restrictive permissions ;)

Do you have a user account setup on the PC you're trying to access?

Sure do, on both machines. Both are identical user names. I don't even have a "log in as" option anywhere

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.