I am trying to setup a print server to be used in a remote site from my PC at the host site just to have it ready when I get to the remote site as recommended by my hardware vendor. I have the print server in my hand and I am trying to set it up on my PC and then carry it to a remote site to be used. I used the install wizard disk that came with it and hooked a Genicom 3840(a big dot matrix) printer to it. The print server allows a parallel printer with an RS232 connection to be used in an ethernet environment. My question is: Am I actually assigning a static IP address to the print server itself so that any printer attached to it will work? The drivers for this printer reside on the main server and not on the PC's. I used the default gateway address of the remote site. By using that default gateway for this setup, will this keep me from pinging this print server from my PC at the host site?? This is all going into an AIX operating system(our host server).
Thankx

My question is: Am I actually assigning a static IP address to the print server itself so that any printer attached to it will work?

I believe so, yes. Keep in mind that if you change the printer connected to the server, you must use the new printer's driver or you'll probably have a stack of scrap paper instead of a single document.

I used the default gateway address of the remote site. By using that default gateway for this setup, will this keep me from pinging this print server from my PC at the host site??
Thankx

I'm not sure about this one, but i don't think you'll have problems pinging.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.