Okay, this problem has been frustrating me now for the last two weeks.

I got a small side job at an office. Theoretically, it was supposed to be rather simple. This guy wanted me to add an older 2000 server to the domain and set it up so the office staff could store and share various office documents on it.

The existing network consists of one Windows 2000 server acting as the domain controller. The server I was adding to it had NT on it which I upgraded to 2000 server with no problems. So I go to add it to the domain, add the machine under Users and Computers through Administrative Tools, fire up the newly added server and it connects to the domain.

Easy right? Not exactly. When I go to logon to the domain on the new server, I get the following error:

" There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper"

Never came across this error message before.

So I search MS's knowledge base and come up with the solution of making a registry addition of MaxUserPorts which supposedly makes more points available. I also reset the computer account.

I go to log back in and I no longer get the endpoint error. I now get the following:
"The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect"

Now, I'm 100% sure the password is correct. I've removed the computer from the domain and added it again several times.

This really should be an easy process but for some reason it's not.

Do the daniweb genius's have any suggestions? I've been slamming my head against the wall all week over this one.

Told ya it was an obscure glitch. Those of the worst kind.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.