Hello, I have a little issue that makes no sense to me at all.
I have recently rebuilt the kids computer and installed windows xp pro on to it, however, when I connect my D-Link 302g modem it says it is connected and working fine, but I am unable to view web pages or ping websites.
I know the modem is working fine as it works on another computer with no problems. I have tried connecting through both a ethernet and a usb cable.
my ISP has gone through all the usual checks but suggested a problem with the computer hardware. I find this hard to beleive as it was working fine with Windows 2000.
I can ping the modem itself and get into the mobem setup web page, but am unable to ping anything alse.

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

1. disable firewalls
2. are you sure DNS is set right? can you ping external IPs instead of URLs?

Hi,
No firewalls and windows firewall is switched off
DNS seems to be all fine
Cant ping IP's or URL's

might be a winsock issue
try in cmd
"netsh winsock reset"

right click on the connection under network connections and choose repair.

Hi, I have tried the winsock thing and also the repair connection but still nothing?

did you reboot after the winsock reset?

Yes, I rebooted after the winsock reset but still the same

okay, try o do the following:
open two windows - IE and CMD
in IE try to access google.com
in cmd type netstat -n

post the netstat results here

are you sure this is netstat DURING your attempt to http to google.com?

let me remind you - FIRST you access google.com, THEN (immidiately after you pressed to "go" button in the browser) you go to the cmd window and run netstat -n

Okay, this time around i get nothing with IE

ie

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State

has to be a firewall, or a windows glitche. simply has to.

try to "telnet google.com 80"
see what you get

came up with:

connecting to google.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: Connect failed

I see
you have outgoing port 80 (http protocol) blocked by something. can you post a HJT log here?
I am quite certain you have a firewall, or some other kinf of combined internet security product there

Hi, here is the HJT Log file

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 7:33:51 p.m., on 22/05/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Julia Darla Zane\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{3C7A3043-A28B-4492-81BC-9682F182EFDA}: NameServer = 202.27.158.40,202.27.156.72
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{56007B7E-521B-4214-A64D-BB15BF0CEDE7}: NameServer = 202.27.158.40,202.27.156.72
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe

--
End of file - 3034 bytes

looks fine... last night a friend called me up with the same problem. seems like a windows problem, so unless a solution comes up soon you're looking at a format+reinstall

Hi, Ive been down the whole format and re-install. i even used a different xp disk the last time but it was still the same.
Thanks for all your help meantime

Hi
I know this might seem like a long shot but have you tried resetting the modem/router itself. I had a similar problem with my Belkin Modem/Router when I tried to establish a hard-wired connection from my laptop a short time ago.
Firstly I performed a 'soft reset/restart' from the routers URL page and then performed a hard reset by pulling the power from the router, powering down the PC, repowring the router then powering the PC back up. It worked for me so might work for you too

Hi, Ive tried rebooting the modem a few times now. It works perfectly well on my other computer so I know it is not the modem itself.

Is it the mac adress?

In my house I have a cable broadband modem. It only works with devices which have the same MAC adress as the NIC on the PC on which you originally ran the setup wizard. In order to get it to work with my router i had to get it to clone the MAC.

It doesn't look that way. When you go to attach the PC to the router and you access the routers home page does it give you any indication as to what the PC name is or the MAC address of your network adaptor connected to that machine.

Also in cmd have you tried running ipconfig?

try this - in cmd type ipconfig/release
then try ipconfig/renew

it might just work

sorry about the double post but i've just had another thought too. I am not sure if anyone else has mentioned this afore but maybe its absolutely nothing to do with the modem and maybe the fault lies within the network adaptor inside the PC itself. It could be that its not quite seated right, is faulty or simply doesn't have the correct drivers

Hi,

Ive tried cloning the mac address, and also the ipconfig renew but it still does not work.
i don't think it is the network port as it is integral to the computer (Compaq Deskpro EN)
Definately not the modem as it works fine through other computer also running xp

If its an integral one to the motherboard it is possible that you may need to configure it in the BIOS. Look in there and see if theres anything about enabling/disabling network adaptors and check its status. Try it and let me know what happens

Hi,
Sorry about the delay in replying. The computer was reclaimed by the kids.
Developments since:
I have tried enabling and disabling the ethernet port but made no difference
I have update dthe driver for the intel Pro/100vm network connection but made no difference
I have also connected through a router to the modem and the other computer. I am able to access the modem and the router, being able to ping both of them. I can also ping both ways for the computers.

But still am unable to browse the web unless I connect through dial-up

My response if probably just academic given the elapsed time. I also hope I have not misread the thread.

However, it seems step 1 should have been to check you network configuration settings on the network adapter that is connected to the router. You do this by opening the command prompt (Start > Run > type "cmd" w/o the quotes or the full word "command"), then type "ipconfig /all". Note the values for IP Address, Default Gateway, DNS Servers and DHCP Server.

It seems you may not have anything set as the Default Gateway. Thus your computer only knows how to communicate with local area network (LAN) devices but is unable to route traffic to external destinations. Your Default Gateway should typically be the IP address of your router (cable / dsl etc).

If you cannot ping external IP addresses (which you can obtain from pinging known web-sites from a working computer and using the IP addresses of those which have responded successfully to the pings), then you have a routing issue. Routing issues must be resolved before you can think of DNS, web browsing etc.

At the Command Prompt try running "route print". You should have a line like the following:

Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [same as default gateway] [same as adapter IP address] [some number like 25]

That line is saying, for externally destined communication send it to the default gateway (assumbly the DSL modem/router).

BTW, I think the MAC cloning issue may not be typically applicable to DSL service.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.