I have my old work laptop that they let me keep and it still boots to logging in to the work network. That's works fine when I enter the old password and can access everything on the laptop.

What I'd like to do is remove the work network and just use it like a normal single user PC. What I don't want to do is lose access to all the programs I have installed. That would be a nightmare to reinstall everything. I have all the data backed-up on an external USB drive so no worries there.

I also have admin priv's and can also login as the admin with the admin password.

Any help? Should I post this in a different area?

Thanks,

Mike

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have my old work laptop that they let me keep and it still boots to logging in to the work network. That's works fine when I enter the old password and can access everything on the laptop.

What I'd like to do is remove the work network and just use it like a normal single user PC. What I don't want to do is lose access to all the programs I have installed. That would be a nightmare to reinstall everything. I have all the data backed-up on an external USB drive so no worries there.

I also have admin priv's and can also login as the admin with the admin password.

Any help? Should I post this in a different area?

Thanks,

Mike

What operating system are you using? Also what do you mean by "remove the work network"?

If it is a Windows XP computer and you are trying to authenticate to a domain then you should:

1. Log in to the local machine as administrator
2. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"
3. Select the "Computer Name" tab
4. Where is says "To rename this computer or join a domain, click change", click "Change"
5. If it is joined to a domain then the radio button next to domain should be selected. Change it by selecting "workgroup" and entering a workgroup name.
6. Select ok all the way out and it should ask you to restart your computer.

This will remove it from the domain.

Thanks,

Thanks worked and now it does not look for any of the old domain links to the server and when it boots up the "Log on to Windows" only has the administrator as an option.

I just copied all the desktop setting from the old user account that was under the domain and the desktop and software access is the same as before.

Thanks for your help.

Is there a way to stop the "Log in to Windows" dialog box from coming up when you boot so it just simply loads to the desktop?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks,Is there a way to stop the "Log in to Windows" dialog box from coming up when you boot so it just simply loads to the desktop?

This is a reposting of the same query. I have already answered to you in the previous thread. please refrain from duplicate posting over variuos threads and mark your query solved once the solution works well.

Sorry about that. Will try what you posted in the other area tonight.

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.