Ok, I have asked this problem to every one that I work with and have come across that works in the tech industry. No one can seem to figure it out. For about the past 3 years my computer NIC has had to be set at 10Mb half duplex to maintain a conection, anything above that and it will not conect. If it is set to auto it constantly conects and disconects. I have replaced the cables and the NIC several times. None of the other computers on the network had this problem till I built a new computer and it does the same thing. I have replaced the NIC, cabling, power supply and ran a dedicated power circuit from the breaker box and none of it seems to make any diference. My router/switch is a linksys BEFSX41, the 2 computers in question are in the same room as the router/switch. All of the other computers in the house have no problem, even my laptop has no problem when it is in the room with the others. When ever I am transfering files between computers and one of them is one of the computers in question here the nic tops out at about 25% of the 10Mb conection and the graph looks like a bad saw blade. Larger files are virtualy impossible to transfer because it looses conection before they complete.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I admit I am not knowing a proper solution to this but could you please change the port in which you N/W cable is connected to the switch (the switch port i mean). If the prob still persists then I think you can try out with a new Motherboard or atleast change the PCI slot.

I have tried every port on the switch. I have changed the pci slot to every available on on the computer and have also changed the NIC.

then your ethernet controller might be out...have u tried with a new Mobo

ok, I found the problem, I have 2 bad linksys routers at my house. I Just bought me a new buffalo router and the problem is fixed. I have seriously lost my faith in linksys products. Allmost every call I get for networking problems turns out to be linksys problms. This month I have had to replace 3 bad wrt-54g's. A coupple of months ago my company when called to do new home network installs have gone to using buffalo routers and have had no problems out of them. I was allways a big linksys fan because they where cysco but it seams to me they whent to cheap with linksys.

Please downlod the book it might be of some help to you. In order to download you must register in this site.

Linksys WRT54G Ultimate Hacking (Syngress Publishing, 2007)

This site is really good don't miatake it for Phishing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.