I have a small network with two pc's, a switch and a dsl-router-modem that provides an ethernet output. I take the e-net output from the dsl-router-modem and, going thru the switch, I supply the two pc's and that part works fine. An "ipconfig" call shows that the dsl-router-modem is the default gateway. Both pcs can use the internet and use each others files, etc. Now I want a wireless access for a laptop. I have purchased a broadband wireless router, namely a linksys wrt54g, but the setup doesn't address my topology. I don't want to change anything, I just want to cable from my switch to one of the wrt54g ports. Having done this, I don't seem to find the setup combination that will make this a part of my network. IS IT POSSIBLE? HAVE I PURCHASED THE WRONG DEVICE? DO I HAVE TOO MANY ROUTERS?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

you would want to replace the switch with the router. To do what you suggested, you would have had to have bought an Access Point, it looks like a router, but it's not, it only provides a wireless signal. Another thing you can do is update the firmware on your router, and it'll make it act as a wireless access point, but I suggest you do just replace the switch with the router.

You should be able to configure the Linksys as a bridge (that is, it is not a router, gateway or firewall). If the OEM firmware doesn't allow this, then you might be able to install the DD-WRT firmware, depending on which version of the WRT54G you have.

You should be able to configure the Linksys as a bridge (that is, it is not a router, gateway or firewall). If the OEM firmware doesn't allow this, then you might be able to install the DD-WRT firmware, depending on which version of the WRT54G you have.

It would be so much easier if you just replaced the switch with the router.

It would be so much easier if you just replaced the switch with the router.

Yes, it would. However, the OP said he didn't want to change his network layout. And he might have a valid reason for leaving his PCs wide open to the internet. For example, he might have multiple static IP addresses. In this case, he would have to reconfigure the Linksys into a router and disable NAT and the firewall anyway. This way, he gets to learn more about networking whilst keeping his two PCs on the net.

is that really hard to do? no, would he learn a lot from doing it? yes.
what you suggest, flashp the firmware on the router is more dangerous and might actually take longer.

dd-wrt provides the linksys routers with the access point option. had it set up at my previous workplace

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.