Hello,

I have a few questions about some networking i wanna do.

1. I think i know the answer to this but just to be sure is there a such thing as Offline remote networking? IE, can i network people in various places, particularly to a common server without the internet?

2. If I use online and want a system/database for retriving adn submitting information, should I use FTP or HTTP?

3. What is teh most cost efficient means of securing it?

4. Looking at a possible quick growth spurt which of the above ideas would be the best method?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

1. You want to connect to a remote server without being connected to the internet? That's like trying to drive a car without an engine in it. What you ask is impossible.
2. You should use FTP for uploading and downloading files.
3. Try SFTP(secure file transfer protocol)
4. Number 2 obviously

Hello,

I have a few questions about some networking i wanna do.

1. I think i know the answer to this but just to be sure is there a such thing as Offline remote networking? IE, can i network people in various places, particularly to a common server without the internet? ...

Certainly. Bear in mind, though, that the cost is directly proportional to the geographical area to be covered.

You can do it by:
- dialup (set up a BBS server; if clever, you could even do it with a
conference call)
- 802.11x wireless
- fiber
- copper
- microwave
- laser
- other radio
If you were very clever, I'll bet you could even do it with CB or even FRS 2-way radios.

Methinks, though, this is not what you had in mind. :) :)

N

thanks for the answers. I did some additional reading and took some more time to think about what i really wanted to do and I think a website (HTTP, of course) is going to be the best route.

Unfortunately, lol, that's not what i had in mind and neither am i that clever--at least not yet. Bt now that you schooled me some I will be pursuing that level of aptitude. Thanks for something to reach for. actually the whole information sharing thing brings something else to mind. How common and feasible is it to have FTP within HTTP?

you can't literaly have ftp within http, unless you mean you have files available for download on the web server.

Ah, now that you are a little clearer on what you want to accomplish, I can provide some *useful* information. :)

Rent a small virtual private server (VPS) from someone like advantagecom.net.

Set up mysql; be sure it connects only to localhost; you don't want anyone outside to access the data through any means other than the web interface that you will create.

Create your private web site. If it is to be only for certain people, do not publish its home link. Make the public home page something generic and uninteresting. Protect the real web site with password access. Assuming you'll be using PHP, be *real* careful with the code; even though user/password access is required, you don't want to be sloppy.

Set up SSH so that you allow only protocol version 2 and only public/private key pairs. Have ssh run only on a non-standard port, somewhere up in the 7000-14000 range. Protocol 1 and password access must be disabled. While generating key pairs and getting the resulting public keys onto the server can be a pain, it is significantly more secure. Put passcodes on the private keys to prevent unauthorized access if you want it to be even more secure.

Disable FTP, TELNET, RLOGIN and other access daemons. SSH (and the hosting service's access method) is the only method you should allow for access to the server for proramming and control.

Be prepared to watch ssh and httpd logs for access illegal access attempts. When you find them, add the offending IP addrs to iptables firewall and silently drop all packets to and from those addrs on the floor.

My philosophy is to use good security to prevent access to the system, to use obscurity to make it more difficult for miscreants to find a way in, and to permanently exclude miscreants from accessing the system at all (well, for at least 6 months; spammers may change IP addrs more often than that, and they're the ones trying hardest to find systems to commandeer).

You can use HTTPD's upload/download facility in place of FTP to exchange files.

what you might find useful is ms sharepoint. it costs money, unlike lamp, but it is very easy to use, and there are quite a few dedicated sharepoint hosting companies

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.