hi
Is there any way to make all incoming/outgoing traffic go through my isp proxy - hence protect my pc's ip address.

.. thinking really of ways using router configuration OR some dns utility!

I am using a speedTouch 510 router on windows xp and apache server.

When i surf the net, the ip address shown is that of my isp - no problem here at all

BUT * : when I open a socket to send emails from my local server, some systems - particulary hotmail.com do a "reverse dns lookup" first. If the public IP can not be resolved, hotmail refuses the email.

Now all I want is to get my router (or a dns utility) to point my machine's public IP to the ISP proxy. The ISP proxy has ip addresses that pass "reverse dns lookup".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

to make those reverse dns systems accept your email, you can add your real ip to the dns tables as some secondary/tetriary mx. that way it's a legal addy after all

to make those reverse dns systems accept your email, you can add your real ip to the dns tables as some secondary/tetriary mx. that way it's a legal addy after all

Thanks .. I have been struggling to find info on the net on how your suggestion can be implemented. How can a user add an ip to the dns tables as some secondary/tetriary mx? I would have thought that only the service providers could / allowed to do that. Any suggestion?

call your ISP, or whomever you registered your domain with and ask them to add an mx record

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.