Hi, i am a complete dummy when it comes to pc's. I have been getting a dns server error message when trying to acsess one particular site. All other websites are fine.
Can anyone give me any tips on how to fix this pls... i need complete laymans terms from start to finsh.. :-)))) thanks x

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by royalhg

What website are you trying to access? Possibly your computer security settings won't allow you to go there!

I also get the same mesages when I try to access amy https site. AND...my security tab on Internet options is GONE!!! I am using XP!

It could very well be that the site you are attempting to connect to is under maintenance conditions or something. Or you've made a mistake in the addy?

That is NOT the case. I use the same addys I have in memory. They used to work. Now whenever I try to access a secured website, I get a not connected notice. AND.....there is NO security tab in my internet options in IE6.

A DNS error means that your ISP can't find the computer that the site is supposed to be on.

I can think of several reasons:

- The site is down, voluntarily or involuntarily. (It might have been located in one of the recently flooded areas). I remember people complaining about sites being down, when the sites had been located in the area devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

- The site might have changed URLs. This often happens when a website provider goes out of business or is sold to a competitor. My site changed URLs thrice over its lifetime.

- The site may have decided that your ISP is an untrusted location, and locked it out. This happened to me several times, because other users on my ISP were spamming.

- Your ISP may have decided that the site is a spam source and blocked it.

- Your security settings may have changed.

- If you are in a corporate or school setting, the administrators may have decided to block either the site, or your ability to access secure sites.

- You may be missing an upgrade that keeps secure sites working.

- Something may be amiss with an internet node in between that is routing the requests to the wrong place.

I am with AT&T.This has been happening to a number of secure sites, so its not the ISP> I ALSO don't have a security tab in my internet options menu. I've been on the phone with tech support for hours at a time. In fact, they're the ones that recommended this site to me for some technical advice that was beyond them.

RHG

A DNS error means that your ISP can't find the computer that the site is supposed to be on.

I can think of several reasons:

- The site is down, voluntarily or involuntarily. (It might have been located in one of the recently flooded areas). I remember people complaining about sites being down, when the sites had been located in the area devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

- The site might have changed URLs. This often happens when a website provider goes out of business or is sold to a competitor. My site changed URLs thrice over its lifetime.

- The site may have decided that your ISP is an untrusted location, and locked it out. This happened to me several times, because other users on my ISP were spamming.

- Your ISP may have decided that the site is a spam source and blocked it.

- Your security settings may have changed.

- If you are in a corporate or school setting, the administrators may have decided to block either the site, or your ability to access secure sites.

- You may be missing an upgrade that keeps secure sites working.

- Something may be amiss with an internet node in between that is routing the requests to the wrong place.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.