Hi, i am a complete dummy when it comes to pc's. I have been getting a dns server error message when trying to acsess one particular site. All other websites are fine.
Can anyone give me any tips on how to fix this pls... i need complete laymans terms from start to finsh.. :-)))) thanks x

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What website are you trying to access? Possibly your computer security settings won't allow you to go there!

Also tell us what is the exact error message and what operating system you are using.

I also get the same mesages when I try to access amy https site. AND...my security tab on Internet options is GONE!!! I am using XP!

It could very well be that the site you are attempting to connect to is under maintenance conditions or something. Or you've made a mistake in the addy?

That is NOT the case. I use the same addys I have in memory. They used to work. Now whenever I try to access a secured website, I get a not connected notice. AND.....there is NO security tab in my internet options in IE6.

A DNS error means that your ISP can't find the computer that the site is supposed to be on.

I can think of several reasons:

- The site is down, voluntarily or involuntarily. (It might have been located in one of the recently flooded areas). I remember people complaining about sites being down, when the sites had been located in the area devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

- The site might have changed URLs. This often happens when a website provider goes out of business or is sold to a competitor. My site changed URLs thrice over its lifetime.

- The site may have decided that your ISP is an untrusted location, and locked it out. This happened to me several times, because other users on my ISP were spamming.

- Your ISP may have decided that the site is a spam source and blocked it.

- Your security settings may have changed.

- If you are in a corporate or school setting, the administrators may have decided to block either the site, or your ability to access secure sites.

- You may be missing an upgrade that keeps secure sites working.

- Something may be amiss with an internet node in between that is routing the requests to the wrong place.

I am with AT&T.This has been happening to a number of secure sites, so its not the ISP> I ALSO don't have a security tab in my internet options menu. I've been on the phone with tech support for hours at a time. In fact, they're the ones that recommended this site to me for some technical advice that was beyond them.

RHG

A DNS error means that your ISP can't find the computer that the site is supposed to be on.

I can think of several reasons:

- The site is down, voluntarily or involuntarily. (It might have been located in one of the recently flooded areas). I remember people complaining about sites being down, when the sites had been located in the area devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

- The site might have changed URLs. This often happens when a website provider goes out of business or is sold to a competitor. My site changed URLs thrice over its lifetime.

- The site may have decided that your ISP is an untrusted location, and locked it out. This happened to me several times, because other users on my ISP were spamming.

- Your ISP may have decided that the site is a spam source and blocked it.

- Your security settings may have changed.

- If you are in a corporate or school setting, the administrators may have decided to block either the site, or your ability to access secure sites.

- You may be missing an upgrade that keeps secure sites working.

- Something may be amiss with an internet node in between that is routing the requests to the wrong place.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.