Hi all,

I'm a college student staying on campus hostel. In my room, there is a network point which I use a network cable to connect my computer to the school LAN. I have two computers and only one connection point; so I'm wondering if there's a way that I can split the connection into two so that I can use both computers (connected) at the same time. I heard of the bridging technique, but since it requires that one of the computers have more than one NIC (which I don't have) so I don't think it's applicable in this case.

Thanks,
Viet

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Is it a standard Wired (RJ45 cables) connection or is it wireless?

It's wired connection.

Does the internet come into ur room via a phone line cable, or via a LAN port?
If it is through a LAN port, it's going to be tricky to do, but if it is through a Phone port, that would be easier.

Why is a LAN port difficult?

You just need a standard ethernet hub and 3 cat5 ethernet patch cables. 1 for the hub to the wall and the other two for your PC's to the hub.

if it's a simple lan line, all you need is a small hub. if it's an accounted line, going through some kind of accounting proxy, you will need a simple wired router

Yes, it's LAN line. Is there any workaround apart from the hub? I mean I kinda need a solution that doesn't require much additional hardware. Thanx.

Assuming you are running XP, you could share out your incoming connection using Internet Connection Sharing. That is assuming you have two nics. Best bet: purchase a cheap 4 port switch from Newegg.

Find the IT technician for your campus and buy him a beer, maybe he could slip you a hub on loan for the term. There's no way to network your 2 PC's without some investment on your part. The cheapest is to buy a *bridging* USB cable (DO NOT USE NORMAL USB to connect two PC's it could damage them) Then share the internet connection on the PC wired to the LAN port.

Second option is buy second NIC for one of the PC's, you will also require a cross over cable( normal patch cable won't work NIC to NIC direct without a hub)

Third and by far the best solution with least headaches is a standard manilla hub. They're not that expensive.

Hi all,

I'm a college student staying on campus hostel. In my room, there is a network point which I use a network cable to connect my computer to the school LAN. I have two computers and only one connection point; so I'm wondering if there's a way that I can split the connection into two so that I can use both computers (connected) at the same time. I heard of the bridging technique, but since it requires that one of the computers have more than one NIC (which I don't have) so I don't think it's applicable in this case.

Thanks,
Viet

Don't bother with a hub/switch; get this: http://www.amazon.com/Network-Pair-Splitter-100-Single/dp/B000BSLXDE

All you'll need then is two cat5 cables; one for computerA and one for computerB

Nice find Duki!
That looks like a fab piece of kit, at a very reasenable price.

Vietexob i would recomend getting the product shown in Duki's link. Cheap and effective.

Nice find Duki!
That looks like a fab piece of kit, at a very reasenable price.

Vietexob i would recomend getting the product shown in Duki's link. Cheap and effective.

:)

Thanks for all suggestions. Yes, I guess I hub is a cost-effective solution after all...;-)

Good find Duki.

That is a hub, just a very small one. Told you they weren't expensive.

>Good find Duki.

Thanks
;-)

Yes, it's LAN line. Is there any workaround apart from the hub? I mean I kinda need a solution that doesn't require much additional hardware. Thanx.

a small 4 port hub and some cable will come to under $100 for sure

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.