I have 3 PC's on LAN running XP pro..all hv few shared folders on network and any of us can use any of that folder..(using simple file sharing)..
All are getting connected to ZXDSL 531B modem and are sharing internet B/B connection through that only..
If sum guests visit and want to use internet he can get access to dat, which we hv no problem for that.. but the problem is dat he can also get access to our internal network and can share those shared files/folders very easily, dat i dont want..
how can we restrict other users/guests on other PC's/laptops (except 3 of us).. so that they can only use internet but cannot use those shared folders..
Plz. help me out regarding this issue..
I dont want to use any server, win 2003 serv., or dont want to create domain..i can only use the available resources i.e. win xp pro..
Plz. guide me thorougly..
thanks in advance..

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

create some users, they have to be the same on all machines, and have the same passwords
set up permissions per user

create users for internet use only - deny them the permissions

You can also encrypt the folders, they will see the contents, but not be able to open them.

Simply right click on the share folders and go to "Sharing and Security" you can set up access limitations there. Unless you want to be very secure about it, in which case you can follow knight's suggestion and use encryption

thanks for replying..
All the 3 PC's in our network hav only one user that too has admin rights..
Is it compulsory to create other users also..
And, whether Yes or No, plz. do tell me step by step to do so..

create some users, they have to be the same on all machines, and have the same passwords
set up permissions per user

create users for internet use only - deny them the permissions

a server with active directory is mainly there for centralised user administration.
if you don't want that, you need to keep a list of same users with same passwords on all workstations. if you do that, you will be able to assign permissions per user, no matter which workstation he logged in from. kind of like if you did have a server

I can think of a number of ways, depending on how much time and energy you want to put into the solution. If you only want to use the tools within XP, I suggest reading up on some Micro$oft KB articles on the built-in firewall (look for "exceptions").

If you're handy with some flavor of Unix/Linux, you can create a small DMZ for your guests to use, complete with a DHCP server to hand out addresses on a separate network. You can download m0n0wall or pfSense for free and use that. The options are limited only by your ability and motivation. After all, if you *really* don't want others to see your files, how far will you go to protect them?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.