I need help connecting to the internet via linksys broadband router. I have 2 computers both running xp, a dsl modem and a linksys wireless router (befw11s4). I have the main computer connected to the internet no problem but no access on the second computer. Both computers have lan connected.
This is my set up the dsl line into the internet slot in the router, cable from slot one router to the main computer and cable from slot 2 router to the second computer. I also have the wireless card in the second computer and set up ready to go.
I also configurred the router to use pppoe and power cycled over and over.
My feeling is that i'm connecting to the internet trough my dsl modem not the router..
If anyone can help, I am so frustrated by now and this is suppose to be simple why is it not working and to make matter worst I have 2 teenagers nagging....
Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

You say very clearly that BOTH computers are cable connected to the router. But you also say that the wireless is set up on the second computer too. So not too sure what's going on there.

You haven't mentioned what the second computer reports when you look at the network icon.

Also what happens if the second computer (with Wirelss disabled) is connected in the router slot of the first compuuter? That'll narrow things down to the second computer (and possibly the Wireless setup), I'd warrant.

Anyway, assuming that the TCP/IP stacks in both computers are identically configured, try connecting the second computer directly to the DSL modem via ethernet. Again that should tell you something about the setup in the second computer.

Have you got Wireless turned ON in the router and is that what you're rying to connect with on the second computer?

Now I don't know how YOUR DSL modem works; if it's not configurable, then your PPOE setting in the router is prolly correct. If it is configurable (i.e. you can address it from a browser) AND if it is the DSL modem that supplied credentials to the ISP, then you would want to set the router t DHCP enables, not PPOE.

A number of things to be thinking about. SHould be solvable if you've got the first computer running; we just have to sort out what's different.

I'm going to try and explain a little bit better please bear with me. Why I have the wireless is that at first I did not have the wireless card set up and tried to network via cable alone but since I don't like cables hanging around i installed the wireless. At this point I don't care any longer if i have cables lying around .I can connect with both computers to the internet via broadband connection but not at the same time. In my network places I have: on the first computer Broadband connection(WAN miniport PPPOE) and local area connection (connected) intel (r) Pro/1000 PL and on the second computer Broadband Connection WAN Miniport PPPOE,
Wireless Network dissabled instant wireless B pci addaptor and local area connection (connected) d-link dfe-530 tx pci fast ethernet. I am not looking at sharing files at this point just want to access internet with both computers at the same time. Ans yes both computers are connected via cable to the router and yes my DSL modem it's not configurable
Windows ip config on first computer the one i'm accesing the internet right now
Ethernet adapter Local area connection
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix:
IP Address 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

PPP Adapter Broadband connection
Connection- Specific DNS Suffix
IP Address 204.112.171.226
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Default gateway 204.112.171.226

windows ip config on second computer
Ethernet adapter Local area connection
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix:
IP Address 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

I hope this will shade some light...
Thank you so much

I am now confused as to what works and what doesn't work. Please answer YES/NO to the following questions:

1/
Each of your 2 computers connects to the internet when plugged into the DSL modem?

2/
No computer works when connected to the DSL modem via the router?

3/
Only the first computer works when connected to the DSL modem via the router?

Also, tell me something about the DSL modem. What brand is it? Did it have to be specially set up and your PPPoE credential supplied to it? Or do you have to log onto your ISP each time you connect a PC?

This is important. Becasue if the logon credentials are already in the DSL modem, you would need to set up the router differently - i.e. to Dynamic IP Address. Maybe that's all the problem is!

So sorry to confuse you....let me tell I am confused too ...
Question 1...yes
Question 2...one computer at the time
Question 3 No
My dsl modem is speedstream model 5260 provider is MTS (Manitoba Canada) and i have to log on each time i want to go on the internet and I believe I have a dynamic ip address they do not like to issue static ip addresses for residential accounts.
I have tried to connect to http://192.168.1.1 but server is too busy

Hope this helps

manged to get on to http://192.168.1.1
setting are:

set up page
basic set up pppoe
user name Fillled in with proper info
passw filled in with proper info
keep alive ticked redial period 30sec
Mtu disable

local ip 192.168.1.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
local dhcp server enabled
start ip address 192.168.1.100

when i go to status and click connect i get this message
pppoe authentication failed even though i know i have the right pass and user name and they are saved

hope this helps

ok here is the easy spin on this, pwr down the dsl, ensure the router is pwr off too, pwr up the dsl, make the conn between dsl and router, pwr up router, run config from router cd, this will detect your configuration, ensure that it detect an ipaddress and ppoe connection. then conn PC1 & PC2 wired to router. the wireless should auto detect the wireless in range. then you can log into the router and configure it to your likeing, change ssid, encrypt to wep, that sort of stuff

Answers 2 & 3 seem to contradict each other.

Q2/
With the router connected to the DSL modem, and with two computers connected to the router, only one of them gets to the internet? You have said YES that it so.

2a/
If that is the case, then the other computer works on the same ethernet port as the first computer? YES/NO?

By the way, if you supply a logon, then PPPoE setup is correct and obviously so now I think about it if one computer can see the internet.

4/
When the one computer connects to the internet via the router, do you still have to log on?

I'll go away and think about a few things while you're replying.

2...yes
2a not sure if you are asking if i switch cables back and forth..i have computer one in port 1 computer 2 in port 2 if computer one is on the net the second one will not connect i get error 691
4 yes
the way i connect to the internet is trough my broadband connection double click on my shortcut and way i go...

I hope BobbyRaw's advice works. It's worth a try.
A thought has occurred to me. You mentioned that you still log on via your old modem desktop login. I spot a problem there, in which case Bobbyraw's advice has merit.

With PPPoE set in your router, you should simply sitch on your connected (to the modem) router and it will negotiate the ISP logon. Then fire up IE and if your settings there are correct (Obtain DHCP address automatically), then on either computer you should get through. Gorget about the log on from the desktop icon. That's how it should work.

Something makes me nervous about the 5260. It's apparently hackable, but not user configurable otherwise. If it's aold, then the firmware is old and it simply may not serve dynamic IP addresses; it would explain why it works on one link when you log on from the icon and thus why the second PC won't work.

where do i check this setting Obtain DHCP address automatically)

Right - I'm assuming that your Linksys router is set up for PPPoE and both computers are connected to it.

In Control Panel, open Network Connections and click on the Local Area Connection entry. Then click Properties and scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Highlight this and click on Properties.

Then click Obtain IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS ... automatically. Click OK all the way out and close your Local Area Connection status box.

That will put your TCP/IP settings into correct configuration. By the way, if they were different, note them for future reference if we need to regress.

that's what i thought so i've done was already set to obtain automatically still nothing. If i disconnect from the broadband connection shortcut on my desktop and try and open ie i get page is not available
So far I pretty positive the settings in the router are right all lights on both dsl box and router are green so i should be able to browse the net ..but still no luck

And again thank you so much for your help

are u able to conn with any of the pc attached to the router via the dsl

only way i can connect to the internet is via broadband connection even though all cables are connected trough the router...one more thing i've tried is i used the easy link wizard and it set up just find found both computers on the network but cannot connect to the internet..hmmmmmmm

So, it looks to me like the 5260 is the issue. it simply isn't serving more than one IP address and so your second computer can't connect.

When I needed to route my ADSL to other computers, I dumped the supplied modem and bought a Modem Router, currently a (not cheap) Draytek 2800VG. Linksys don't do one of the right type, according to their web site. Belkin do - the F5D7230 (but check this out carefully). A Modem Router connects to the telephone port instead of your existing modem; it then serves to the PCs that you connect wired or wireless. You set up PPPoE as you've done and if your ADSL is anything like mine, it'll work straight away.

if you do dump your existing modem, there's a chance that it may not work first time because there are settings hidden from you (like MTU). That is hopefully a bridge that won't have to be crossed.

Your 5260, according to my research for you on the we, has its own set of issues around upgradability to a firmware level that will do what you want.

So have a think about what I've said and let us know what you decide.

are u able to conn with any of the pc attached to the router via the dsl

@ Bobbyraw

I teased that out of Mihaela in the Q&A exchange we had. According to the answers, connectivity of One PC through the Router and onto the Modem works; but the second PC attached to the router doesn't work.

So after trying all the settings I've suggested, I reasonably conclude that the 5260 isn't acting as a DHCP server but it does serve one address to the first attached PC.

What do you think? Two brains working together are better than one.

did you need to clone the mac?

im not sure about your setup but i have a cable (not adsl) modem going in to the WAN port of my liniksys WRT54GC router. I needed to tell the router to pretend to be the MAC address of the NIC i used when i ran my ISP registration CD or else the modem would refuse to renew its DHCP lease

if the other pc is not able to conn then its not the dsl box. the dsl box gives one ip to the router the router give out many ip. what is the ipaddress on the one thats not able to conn, chk cable, make sure cable unplug message in not on pc, make sure the cable is good

i've done the netcheck and came back with no problems checked all cables they are pluged in where they are suppose too...i think next is maybe call my isp provider see what they have to say since liksys help was useless pretty much he told me that he has no clue go figgure that...
thanks
i won't give up since this is driving me nuts

did you need to clone the mac?

im not sure about your setup but i have a cable (not adsl) modem going in to the WAN port of my liniksys WRT54GC router. I needed to tell the router to pretend to be the MAC address of the NIC i used when i ran my ISP registration CD or else the modem would refuse to renew its DHCP lease

@ jbennet

Mihaela has this wretched 5260 modem with no admin logon; so who the heck knows what it's doing by way of DHCP etc. It's half duplex too and only 10Mb! Throw it away.

Usually the Clone function is required if the ISP requires the MAC address of the original modem as a connectivity condition (I'm sure you know this). To the best of my knowledge only Cable providers do this although my Draytek 2910 ruter connected to the Virgin Media modem doen't need MAC Clone. (Yes I have Cable DSL and BT ADSL).

Also in Mihaela's case the ISP registration disk is not a requirement. It already works on one port of the router if I've understood Mihaela correctly.

Fascinating.

if the other pc is not able to conn then its not the dsl box. the dsl box gives one ip to the router the router give out many ip. what is the ipaddress on the one thats not able to conn, chk cable, make sure cable unplug message in not on pc, make sure the cable is good

@ bobbyraw

Earlier in the thread it was established that both computers work one at a time connected to the DSL modem. So all the cables etc are good. The big difference is that in the DLS modem configuration Mihaela has to use a Login script from the desktop and apparently also when the one PC is connected through the router.

You can see why I'm convinced that dumping 5260 in favour of a Modem Router is the speediest way out of this..

ok i see, does your ISP provide you with replacements, or get your own.

not sure about the isp but i will call them and see if they have upgrades ....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.