Hi, recently i was forced to upgrade my system dramaticly. I was installing a new Power Supply and of course i had it switched on the american voltage... instead of the australian. Pop it was a crummy power supply there goes my motherboard, ram basicly the lot im not sure what is in working order at the moment. But anyway i replaced the motherboard, power supply, ram, and it was a costly project finally after 2 weeks i have all of the parts i need.

The problem is as i put my new system together i found the delight full system panel, i found what connections went were thanks to my manual and the good thing was i undetstood it. So i plugged everything up got all happy switched the power on at the wall looked at my machine and saw the green light on the motherboard so i pushed the power button at the front of the computer.... nothing, ecxcept a fast red flash at the light peice at the front of the case.... I didnt have a clew what it was i went over everything and check over and over, i havent a clew. The light on the motherboards on so it should be getting the power right?

Ok heres what i need some help with, is it possible to have a power supply at a W that the motherboard does not support ... it sayed recommended 240 to 300W in the manual and mynes a 450W. Here are my specs i want to get this damn computer working its been weeks -.-

Power Supply Unit
- Switch Power Supply
Model:PT-A 450W
ATX P4 Power Suppy Unit
If you need the input and output specs just say.

Motherboard
ASUS P4S800-MS SE
-Im using the onboard video and audio im not using any pci slots ...

Heatsink Fan
Brand New***
TR2-M10 SE(P4) - Thermaltake

2 x 512 Double Sided Ram Slots - IBM ones thats all i know about those.

2x 40GIG Seagate HardDrives - Blank

CD-ROM/RW LG 52x speed
DVD/R Samsung 18x Speed

Please help me I know everything is hooked in the correct places ... Im willing to buy a new power supply ive already spent to much on this new system. Sorry for posting such a long lot of info that didnt need to be. Thnx in advance ;)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Sorry about the double post i was thinking and i looked at other threads that people had similar problems with me.... one person said the motherboard was being grounded.... so it wouldnt be able to power up i dont see that as a problem. Could the case wires be damaged... ? i wouldnt think it would be that as a red light flashes on the light peices of the case... All fingers point to the Power Supply ... ive tried other ones and even othre case wiring im just totally lost and want to fix this computer.

Is your processor in firmly with thermal grease on top and the processor heatsink firmly pressed down?

Start by just having the powersupply plugged into the motherboard with ram and the processor, nothing else pluged in. Then if it works add the hard drive, graphics card, pci cards etc until you figure out what is wrong.

With the "W" thing you are talking about, "W" is wattage aka how much power the powersupply outputs. The more components you have the higher wattage powersupply you will need to power all these things.

Also, with the motherboard, check the back of it and makesure you used risers (little plastic pieces that raise it up from the mounting plates of the case. No, soldering/metal parts of the motherboard should ever touch the back of your case/mounting bracket. Make sure this is not the case First, then try the other things i suggested.

Find out what kindof ram you are using, and what speed it is. That might help some too.

This may be a bit off the wall but if your old system had an AGP1x or 2x video card and your new motherboard is set up for AGP 4x or 8x video cards it may well require you also upgrade the video card to an AGP 4/8x. The reason for this is the voltage requirements of the cards are different even if the slots are the same.

Some of the P4 systems require a second power connector to the motherboard also. If your power supply is not equiped with that there is an adaptor that can be obtained to power that plug on the motherboard if your current power supply does not have that provision built into it already. A 450 watt PS is more than large enough and as long as the power supply is working correctly and well built you can go as large as you want as it will only supply what the system will use.

This may be a bit off the wall but if your old system had an AGP1x or 2x video card and your new motherboard is set up for AGP 4x or 8x video cards it may well require you also upgrade the video card to an AGP 4/8x. The reason for this is the voltage requirements of the cards are different even if the slots are the same.

Some of the P4 systems require a second power connector to the motherboard also. If your power supply is not equiped with that there is an adaptor that can be obtained to power that plug on the motherboard if your current power supply does not have that provision built into it already. A 450 watt PS is more than large enough and as long as the power supply is working correctly and well built you can go as large as you want as it will only supply what the system will use.

He said he is using onboard video, so this is not an issue.

Missed that about the onboard video in the post. Then AGP slot type would not be the problem. Sounds like PS or hardware shut down to protect processor to me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.