The 2nd monitor on my Windows 7 laptop stopped working today. It just showed black when I started the laptop. It has previously been working fine and I have not recently made any hardware or software changes. So far I have tried:
- Checking video & power cables are connected correctly
- Removed the video cable & re-connect.
Both monitor and laptop detect the cable removal & replacement but monitor still black.
- Windows-Shift-Left Arrow and Windows-Shift-Right Arrow seem to move the active window between screens.
Still can't see anything on the 2nd monitor though.
- Reboot. No change.
- Connected the monitor to another computer (it works)
- Connect a known working monitor to the laptop (same problem)
- Right-click desktop, select "Screen Resolution" & re-configure the monitors
The 2nd monitor had disappeared from these settings.
Clicked Detect and it was found OK.
Config now looks correct but monitor still not working.
I am running out of ideas. I don't even know if this is a hardware or software issue,
I could re-install the video drivers I suppose, but everything worked OK before so I doubt that is the problem.
So what should I try next?