**Note: I'm not sure if this is the appropriate area for this post-- please move if necessary.

Hello. I am working on a small Macromedia Flash project, just learning more about Flash and getting acquainted with the Flash interface as well as Actionscript; my question is not in regards to Actionscript as I have not began adding this yet-- I am only testing some animation at this point.

The odd problem I am having is as follows:

I am editing small JPEG files to run as animation, simply cutting away the background and then mounting them onto the stage-- this works, that is, the animation works as it should. The problem is with the JPEG display; when adding these to the stage the image that should have a transparent background (as they appear to have in Photoshop during editing) now display with a white background. :confused: The animation works fine, but the JPEG background is white, not transparent. It needs to be transparent.

I tried re-editing in Photoshop multiple times with a new, set transparency then rebuilding the animation but still it does not work-- the background of the image layer is white. I cannot determine what the problem is. Is it:

• a conflict between Macromedia MX and Photoshop? This does not seem probable.
  • Should I be saving the file as a Bitmap or GIF instead of a JPEG? The JPEG seems to have worked properly in other tests?
  • I have used Photoshop extensively in graphic design, GUI programming in Python, etc, and have never had this problem; that leads me back to thinking it may perhaps be a software conflict between MX and Photoshop.

This is not a huge issue as the animation with MX is working fine :cheesy:but I cannot proceed with these image results.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance.

MattyD

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

JPEG doesn't know anything about transparency.
If you create an image in Photoshop, save it as a JPEG, then open it again, you'll also see a solid colour whereever you didn't place content earlier.

commented: Flash\ JPEG help # Thank-you. MattyD +5

JPEG doesn't know anything about transparency.
If you create an image in Photoshop, save it as a JPEG, then open it again, you'll also see a solid colour whereever you didn't place content earlier.

Thanks for your reply.

I see -- thanks for the information. I will look into this.

Kind Regards,
mattyD

Photoshop is best software for advance photo editing, banner and template making,I usually use Photoshop for editing pictures and design templates for web site.

You may also want to consider PNG.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.