Guys. I need help.
I got a problem here about these newly-bought flash drive.
Let me tell the story.
Last days of December, 2011, my sister bought a new
Transcend JetFlash V30 8 GB USB Flash Drive as a gift for New Year's Eve.
Then two days later, when I tried the USB Flash Drive,
(and also, in order to use it, I must format the flash drive.)
I plugged it to one of our PC's front USB Port.
After I plugged it, a taskbar balloon pops out, saying that it identifies the new hardware.
(I expect that when I plugged an new device, Windows automatically finds and installs the driver for the hardware.)
Unfortunately, as I expected that it must show the device name "Transcend JetFlash V30",instead the name of the device I have plugged in is "Generic USB Flash Device",
which must not be. (Because removable storage devices, such as Kingston Flash Drives for example, automatically shows their real device name when plugged in.)
I tried to identify if the problem is in the USB port or on the USB drive itself,
so I plugged another Flash Drive (in my case, I plugged my second Flash Drive, Kingston Data Traveler) to test. The USB Drive identified itself sucessfully and correctly, plugged on the same USB Port where I plugged my Transcend drive.
So i think the problem now is in my Transcend drive.
I thought these things why, and tried some of them to solve it...
(because it is a new drive, tinkering it might void the warranty, especially if we should tinker the flash memory chips and other innards.)
* Right-click the ailing drive, to Properties, and go to Hardware Tab. Check for problems. (Never solved my problem.)
* Formatting the drive. (Already tried, formatted successfully, but never solved my problem.)
* Checking Device Manager (Already did. No problems, except for the name of my drive as "Generic USB Flash Device", which is wrong.)
* Updating the USB Driver. (usbstor.sys) (Already did. Windows said it is up-to-date.)
* Used, tried many techy utilities such as SisSoftware Sandra Lite (Tried, but failed to solve my problem.)
* Going to their Website. Downloaded almost anything from the site.(I've got nothing. I'm now planning to write an e-mail to contact support..)
* Get angry at their customer service support. (Planning to do it... Just kidding.)
* Ultimately, tinkering the innards as an ultimate last resort.
(I suspect that it's a memory chip problem, which is now beyond my scope of thinking.) I have read articles on flashing/re-flashing the Flash Memory Chips, and other sorts of "frustratingly" weird hard-core nerd stuff. But i will never try it for now for fear of tampering my warranty.)
I need to fix this problem immediately, in order to use the Transcend JetFlash Elite Program, which requires a real plugged-in Transcend USB flash drive. The program says that my USB Drive is unrecognized. (Even if my Transcend flash drive is actually plugged in)
This is ugly.
I also need to fix this because of my thinking fear that it might not read or recognize on other computers.
Any ideas? Suggestions? Solutions? or else, anything?
Please anyone help me solve my problem.
Any help will be appreciated. Please help me. I need my new drive. :(