Im trying to set my new laptop up to do java programming work on. when i try to compile a file i get the javac not recognised as internal external command error. ive tried different help topics including the http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/problems/ link but their solutions dont solve the problem. anyone have any idea why this might be?

im using a windows vista operating system if that helps.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

This is because your system is not able to locate java.
Here you have two options :
1. Open a command prompt window. Then write set path=%JAVA_HOME% where JAVA_HOME should be your path to the bin directory in your java installation. So, say for example you have Java installed in your C:\Softwares\Java directoryyou should put the path as set path="c:\Softwares\Java\bin" 2. The option above has to be done for every new shell. Instead of that you can do with a permanent option which is by adding the same java installation path to your PATH Environment Variable.

This is because your system is not able to locate java.
Here you have two options :
1. Open a command prompt window. Then write set path=%JAVA_HOME% where JAVA_HOME should be your path to the bin directory in your java installation. So, say for example you have Java installed in your C:\Softwares\Java directoryyou should put the path as set path="c:\Softwares\Java\bin" 2. The option above has to be done for every new shell. Instead of that you can do with a permanent option which is by adding the same java installation path to your PATH Environment Variable.

I tried both of these suggestions and got the same error.

Maybe if you would have gone through the forums first you would have already come across this thread.

the thread fixed my problem thnx for the help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.