hey guys.

PLEASE help me :( ive spent ALL day on this...

below is my system details.

Operating System System Model
Windows Vista Business (build 6000) DIXONSXP MS-7046
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/29/2005
Drives Memory Modules c,d
245.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
209.24 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

it was XP media centre SP2, but work gave me Vista business 32bit for my work laptop, so i thought i'd whack it on my PC too...i did a check online first and was told my pc was fine for vista.

so i did the clean install, but had no sound.
it says "no audio output device is installed"
ive seen a lot of guys on the net having this problem, but none of the solutions apply to me :(
in the device manager it is listed as "high definition audio device" with no name..so im not sure EXACTLY what sound card i have, i assume its intel/realtek.
tried both sites and added the new vista drivers...when i uninstall the device and restart my pc it begins installing, then says "FAILED"
and that the software drivers were not installed sucesfully.
the only info i ever get is "code 10" which i know means fu** all basically, other than my pc doesnt know what the hells going on!
so...ive tried uninstalling, re-installing, new drivers etc etc but nothing works :(

it all worked fine with XP..PLEASE PLEASE help lol.

thanks in advance!!!

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Make sure when you go to install your drivers, that you run the install as Admin because in Vista, if it is changing configuration and it isn't Microsoft Software, it doesn't always let the software install unless it is certified by Microsoft UNLESS you run the install as admin.

well the 1 thing I could recommend is get a programme that checks your system (like Everest) I allways use it when I need to do something at work and then I can see what I need

Another Solution could be is to remove the cover from your pc and check the Soundcard (if it is directly on your mainboard get your mainboard type) go to the site of the brand and search for that typenr. you got... there you can find the recent download of your driver!

Might be an idea doing a system restore if neither of the above options help you. But that is a last case scenario. I would as both Odie and Boblarson suggested is too check all your drivers for your sound card if you have one, and make sure you have the drivers installed. Another option could be to simply remove your sound card and reseat it into its slot again, it may not have been far enough in.

hey guys thanks for your email,

i already tried opening up my PC...and i actually couldnt see ANYTHING that looked like a sound card lol.
of course i wasnt TOO Sure what one should look like, but there was nothing there that could have been, just my tv ans radio tuner card :(

also, i tried belarc advisor, it just says "high definition audio device"

AND...how do i run as admin? i think i already am :S

system restore isnt an option, i dont have the old XP disc and this i formatted the drive during install so there is just vista.

its an advent T9305, its pretty much all intel, does that mean my sound card is probably intel too?
theres a sticker on the case saying what it has...ati graphics etc. but does not mention sound.
just stereo tv and fm tuner.

thanks in advance for any further help! :)

A thing to look for:
Goto Control Panel -> Sounds & Audio Devices -> select the 'Hardware' tab.
Is there anything written in the Hardware box? If there is click on it and press troubleshoot. Then follow the help wizard. The process may be slightly different because you have vista. ATi Graphics only relates to your graphics card, so is not sound related. Also if you have any headphones, try plugging them into the laptop to see if sound is coming out through them.

no theres nothing under hardware :(
its blank!

and i tried headphones too....nothing.

i think its a driver problem...the cd worked fine on my laptop, and the speakers are built into the laptop so i thnk this windows vista is looking for built in speakers :S

when i restart it tries to install the sound device but fails because the drivers could not be succesfully insatlled, perhaps its an admin thing?

how do i install drivers as admin? and where should i get them from?

thanks! :)

If this is a work laptop, does the company that you work for have a IT department? Most likely seeing as you are just the user of the laptop, there is likely to be someone in your company who has admin rights on every machine. I would be tempted to contact your works IT department and find someone who is your administrator.

To install as Administrator, right-click on the setup file and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

no this is all on my pc...see first post for system details.
the laptop is just where the vista CD came from...ok i'll try running as admin when i get home.
but...which file do i right click?
where can i download the drivers i need :S i dont know what drivers i need! :(

guys PLEASE help! lol

im getting close to throwing this in the bin and just buying a new one, which is pointless because i know its just the driver issue!

ive tried all the realtek drivers, it just says "FAILED" on restart.:(

then under devices i have TWO,
1. High definition on audio bus or somehting
2. realtek high defitnion....THIS IS ADDED WHEN I INSTALL REALTEK DRIVERS SO I THINK MY SOUND CARD ISNT REALTEK!

these then both say code 10, device could not start.

any more ideas???????

basicall you need the proper driver for your sound card. here is a program you can use to scan the pc to tell you what driver you will need Click here down load the program scan your pc and it will tell you what you need then go find the drive online or with the cd that came with your moboard.

cool i'll try that when i get home tonight thanks.

i'll keep you posted!

ok..downloaded versiontracker.

here are the details of the audio device:

High Definition Audio Device
My Version: 6.0.6000.16386 Date: 6-21-2006
Current Version: Current Date:
Manufacturer: Microsoft Driver Provider: Microsoft
Class: MEDIA Inf File: hdaudio.inf
URL:
Image File: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\HdAudio.sys
Driver HwId: 200c hdaudio\func_01
Device HwId: 0 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&SUBSYS_70461462&REV_0904
1 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&SUBSYS_70461462

Device CompatibleId: 2000 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_2668&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&REV_0904
2001 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&REV_0904
2002 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&REV_0904
2003 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_2668&VEN_434D&DEV_4980
2004 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_434D&DEV_4980
2005 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D&DEV_4980
2006 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_2668&VEN_434D
2007 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&VEN_434D
2008 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D
2009 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_2668
200a HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086
200b HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&GF&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&SUBSYS_70461462&REV_0904
200c HDAUDIO\FUNC_01

it seems all ok?!?!
where can i get new drivers for this?
i dont understand that data :(

PLEASE HELP! lol

ok...Cmedia rings bells...

but theres loads of drivers on that site :S
how do i know which one is mine?
am i right in thinking i will need vista drivers? (only 2 of those available) or do i need xp drivers as my PC was xp originally?

THANKS THOUGH!!!!! :) this looks like progress lol

Definitely Vista drivers. Uninstall the two audio entries you have in Device Manager. Then all i can offer is try one of the 2 you found; if it doesn't work uninstall it and try the other. Good luck...

ok ALL the drivers from Cmedia are for "up to" xp :(
none will install on my vista! it just says only compatible with xp etc.
what do i do??? :(

down laod the driver for vista, ( make sure it's the 32 bit then down load the one for XP extract each to a fold then go to system properties right click on the audio device ( can you send a screen shot of it) choohe update drive broses to the directory for the XP virsion. if that does not work do the sdame thing for the vista

BY THE WAY WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR MOTHER BOARD IS IT MS-7046 AND IS YOUR SOUND ONBOARD OR A PCI CARD.

those 2 i found are for something to do with USB :(
and i dont think its the other micro star thing, that doesnt sound familiar at all :(

the 2 vista drivers from Cmedia are usb multimedia and it just asks me to plug in the device when i try and install :S

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

dont know how, had a shed load of drivers on my desktop, i right clicked, searched and selected desktop and it installed!
listening to dance anthems as i type on my Cmedia HD audio device :D lol
however, ive messed around with drivers and stff so much my pcs a mess, on restart it gets stuck on bootup screen lol.
looks like im gunna have to re-install vista! :P
this time i'll have all the drivers from my desktop on a disc though ;)

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glad to here it.

Another problem solved by Daniweb :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.