Hey, Sorry for being so rash and urgent, but i need some advice on which to pursuing on a B.S. in C.E. or a B.S. in C.S. What i've been hearing lately that if you want to become a Software Engineer, you have to get a B.S. in Computer Science. What I would like to know is that can I get into the field of Software Engineering even though if i finish school with a B.S. in Computer Engineering?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

sorry for posting it in wrong forum....

"What i've been hearing lately that if you want to become a Software Engineer, you have to get a B.S. in Computer Science"

hmm, never noticed that. 90% of the people I've worked with over the past 10 years (and about 95% of those who were any good to work with) didn't have a computer related degree at all.
Mathematicians, physicists, chemists, biologists, ex-teachers, a butcher, but hardly any computer related degrees.

In fact the people with computer related degrees I met more often than not were completely useless. They thought they knew everything but in fact were so narrowminded that what they produced more often than not was worse than useless.
Beautiful theoretically perfect designs that were impossible to implement while retaining any performance, overly complex solutions that would never work (and certainly not be done within budget), pompous attitudes towards everyone else because only they with their degrees could possibly know, etc. etc.

commented: Very well said. Congrats :) -'Stein +3

I have to agree with you jwenting. Most of the people who graduate with a degree in Computer Science have absolutely no idea about real world apps. They think that the degree is the only thing that matters, when its not. A lot of my batchmates who just graduated have no idea how to make apps which are memory efficient, cost efficient and not bloated. These people are now having a hard time finding a job. It's the same situation everywhere. What needs to be done is supplement theoretical education with hands-on experience. That's the only way you're going to get ahead in this increasingly competitive industry.

Yeah that's pretty much true on what you guys are saying, cus a Degree doesn't give you a job, it just gives you the opportunity. What really matters is how much you know......Thanks for the advice.

Good luck. I made it on a GED, good looks and charm. Wish I hadn't. The $$
is great. But It leaves little room for life. If $$ is what your after and you
like fun, do what you like. Dont relegate yourself to a hell based on an
ideal. You can be a technical powerhouse all day, but if you dont like it what's
the point?

Its all the same in the end. At least enjoy your stay while you're here.

If there was a pill for stupid I would take two.

Dont waste it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.