What are your favorite hobbies on the computer outside of work and DaniWeb, of course? Personally, I'm a Quora addict.

Y The commented: A very nice guide. I will definitely follow these tips. Thank you for sharing such detailed article +0

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I'm not into gaming, and as for Quora, I have no idea what it is but I'm definitely going to have a look.

Mostly I'm a techie junkie. Last summer I got started with python/wxpython and currently I am diving back into APL. It's changed a great deal since I fell in love with it back in my university days (the 70s) where it was invaluable for getting through my many numerical analysis courses. Back then, computer science had a lot more emphasis on math than today.

It's an odd hobby but I do like a good computer issue/mystery in the forums. If we can help folk avoid a repair counter or new PC we did good.

Next is a video game in the Borderlands or Fallout series. Or a card game.

Back then, computer science had a lot more emphasis on math than today.

Computer science, as a degree, still has a huge of emphasis on math. However, when utilizing that degree in the workforce, the chance that you go into a high level field is wayyyy higher than the chance of going into a low level field. Especially as more and more stuff gets abstracted away, and with web and mobile apps and all being as popular as they are.

commented: Great Post! It’s very useful for me and thanks for sharing. +0

more and more stuff gets abstracted away

A close friend was shocked in a good way when we had a discussion about AI and machine learning. After a bit I noted they should look at Python for their solution as a lot of what you used to have to code vanishes with a few import statements.

Python also could be my hobby as its one of my go-to systems for automating work without a full blown write it all from scratch effort.

Computer science, as a degree, still has a huge of emphasis on math

My younger son got his comp sci degree from the University of Manitoba in 2008. In the years he was there he never even heard of eigen values, continued fractions, prime residues, or linear diophantine equations. He never had to write a program to do gaussian elimination (I had to write three versions). There was a lot more emphasis on P v NP, for example, and the mechanics of very low level programming (micro code). On the other hand, I had a minimum of one numerical analasis course per year. For two years I doubled up.

I've never heard of any of those things either, albeit I just went to a local school nearby where I grew up, Hofstra University. To be honest, I don't even think the program was accredited when I went there. My boyfriend, who went to Carnegie Mellon, is always referring to concepts I should have learned but didn't.

To be honest, the only use I have ever found for those NA concepts was to develop my analytical and programming skills. I haven't made use of numerical analysis since I graduated. It did. however, leave me with an appreciation for the field of mathematics. The only NA (half) course I actually enjoyed was one in which my course project was to develop a math program to manipulate arbitrarily long integers by storing them as prime residues. Remember, this was before the days of Python and other languages that had open source libraries for doing large number calculations. Mine was written in WATFOR (Waterloo FORTRAN).

Micro code. My story. Long ago I toiled in assembly for a now obsure processor. I wished to move to high level (back then C.) Instead we began work on our own processor and it fell on our small team to develop micro-code. While it was a great experience you bet I still wished to do more work beyond micro-code and assembler. As the years passed, more and more C and beyond.

We never covered micro code and how a bus works because back then the first home computers were only just coming out in kit form in my last year (Cromemco, Zilog, etc.) and a bus was something commuters used to get to work. I remember one undergrad coming in and asking a prof why his kit wasn't working. He must have been using a soldering iron the size of a horse's leg because he had solder puddles the size of quarters on his motherboard.

commented: "If it smells like chicken, you're holding it wrong." +0

I was still DJ-ing with vinyl for a long time, but since 2 years I use the DJ software Traktor Pro on my MacBook. I make mixtapes with it too which I feature on my pet project site, Lively Audio. On my site I use the SoundCloud API to pull in my mixes from SoundCloud in a custom SoundCloud player. So, I'm also a lot on SoundCloud to check out new underground/indie music... phew... that's a lot of SoundCloud name dropping :)

Videogames

• Research on new tech.
  • Distrohopping.

I play video games.

I've been re-configuring my office setup to up my meeting game. I've set up my Canon DSLR as my "webcam" and piped it through OBS so I can "play" with a little bit more, and make meetings a bit less boring :D. Aside from that, I've discovered that Chromebooks don't suck, and have also been playing with my Raspberry Pi 400.

Edit: This was meant as an answer to what I've been doing to keep busy due to Covid... but, it fits either way ;)

Hey! My favs are 9GAG, of course, and Quora. No matter which question occurs there are always people who can advise you of something helpful.
Netflix can be counted as well?

Hello,
I do alot of things on computer except my regular work, like:

• Read up on local news
  • Download movies and various content
  • Watch tv shows
  • Listen to music
  • Gaming

Fun Interesting Hobbies
Upcycle your things. ...
Learn photography. ...
Volunteer. ...
Learn to play the guitar. ...
Do stand-up comedy. ...
Try rock climbing. ...

I really like gaming and writing.

I really like gaming and writing.

What type of writing do you do?
Do you write blogs, articles etc?
or some type of office work.

Some of the things i love doing include writing great content for seo, seeking out low difficulty keywords, running optimized google ad campaigns and designing wordpress websites.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.