Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

Well when you were in school how did you study. I just find this topic intresting 'cause.....

well i do it like this...specially for chemistry

1. pick up the book (of course)
2. see the thickness of chapter
3. count the number of pages
3 start reading
4 after completing 2-3 pages i just relax for....
5. after then i read skip every 3rd or 4th paragraph

Recommended Answers

All 37 Replies

I'm a nerd. I would begin by reading the entire chapter in depth so that I completely understood all of the concepts. I would then read the entire chapter a second time highlighting key points and making note of formulas to memorize, etc. I'd then skim the entire chapter a third time focusing on memorizing new terms and specific formulas.

2. Read the preface, introduction, Chapter 1
3. Fall asleep
4. Repeat 1 -3 infinitely, occationally wandering to Chapter 2 and maybe 3.

commented: hehe =D thankO +2

1. Pick up the book
2. Read the chapter to grasp concepts
3. Reread the chapter, taking notes, and underlining all relevant information in the chapter.
4. Review the notes I've taken.

I'm a nerd. I would begin by reading the entire chapter in depth so that I completely understood all of the concepts. I would then read the entire chapter a second time highlighting key points and making note of formulas to memorize, etc. I'd then skim the entire chapter a third time focusing on memorizing new terms and specific formulas.

That's what i want to do. I like maths, physics and computer science. But chemistry, english, general studies makes me fall asleep.

Please please please...tell me how do you manage to study that much....i really need some tips.....exams are approaching and i am just sitting like a dumb fellow.

2. Read the preface, introduction, Chapter 1
3. Fall asleep
4. Repeat 1 -3 infinitely, occationally wandering to Chapter 2 and maybe 3.

hey, you do exactly what i do....:p...give me five

1. Pick up the book
2. Read the chapter to grasp concepts
3. Reread the chapter, taking notes, and underlining all relevant information in the chapter.
4. Review the notes I've taken.

this i do during my exams(which are approaching)

hey, you do exactly what i do....:p...give me five

he he. Yeah. I haven't read any of my reference books until the last chapter. That includes my C/C++ books too.:eek:

When exams are close at hand, I usually do an all nighter and go through my lecture notes and punt my way around the exam paper. It helps that I have read the introductory parts because then I have a birds eye view about what the subject is all about. That enables me to add meat to my barebones answer.:twisted:

I buy the books on tape, and play them while I'm sleeping :)

he he. Yeah. I haven't read any of my reference books until the last chapter. That includes my C/C++ books too.:eek:

When exams are close at hand, I usually do an all nighter and go through my lecture notes and punt my way around the exam paper. It helps that I have read the introductory parts because then I have a birds eye view about what the subject is all about. That enables me to add meat to my barebones answer.:twisted:

exactly.....i haven't touched my chemistry book yet. It contains atleast 2000 pages and 2-3 inches thick.
My chemistry exam is nightmare, curse etc etc for me. In hindi there's a word called "tukka" which means something like "waving bat in air(cricket)". Thats what i do in chemistry paper.

I buy the books on tape, and play them while I'm sleeping :)

Some of my senior coaching fellow do that. Who could bear 2hr chemistry class without sleeping.

Well when you were in school how did you study.

Read the book and lecture notes carefully.

Put them away.

Repeat every night until the chapter(s) is/are memorized. :D

one of my main problem is that i cant be regular in studies. i try to be regular cause only regular studies help in long run

I study Computing with Games. At the moment my courses are:

-Computer Programming
-Multimedia Games Development
-Networking, Security and Computer Systems
-3D Animation

So, for the most part, I study actively/practically. I use the Internet to research anything I don't know... And most of my courses are totally coursework based, so I don't go into lessons much.

The only one I have a problem with is Networking Security and Computer systems, I should go into lab sessions to get on the equipment. But me and schedules aren't the best of friends. That course is also 90+% exam based I think... And I did pretty badly on the year 1 exam for the same/equivelent course.

Guess I should get a book and learn ^_-

Well when you were in school how did you study.

It depends what I was studying:

• Read all books and highlight\ take extensive notes
  • Memorize when necessary
  • Practice Coding and Mathematical concepts to reinforce essentials of material
  • Use Flashcards to drill myself (I did this primarily when studying for the Network+ certification which was definition heavy. This helped me to pass with a high score. I recommend this technique for any student in any course)
  • I would not over-study, or in some cases, not study at all. I rarely studied for tests

I find that I study almost everyday even after graduating from school-- it should never end: brushing up on C++/ Python, learning new languages such as Ruby, building websites to standard, working on algorithms for the fun of it, Math, Security, Assembly lang, or such topics as A.I. design-dev and builds.

I also study things via reading such as: Plato, WWII History, British Lit., Physics\ Astronomy, Languages (German, Spanish, and hopefully Greek and Hebrew soon), and Biblical studies.

I love to learn.

That enables me to add meat to my barebones answer.:twisted:

That's funny. :lol: :cheesy: Well Said. ;)

Yeah. The Wolf needs meat....

i didn't study much or pay attention in class yet i did quite well in my exams..
and now i'm doing a course from home i do this:
1) go to the end of the chapter to the assignment and do a practise run on paper
2) mark that run
3) read the chapter and learn what i got wrong
4) redo the assignment
5) mark the rerun
6) if close to full marks do on the assignment cd and submit for marking

hehe woflyyy wolf wocks!

__

I didn't used to study -_- until the last min .. yet i did well in my exams .. Thank God

1: Take notes in class
2: Near test time, glance thru notes
3: If someone else is willing, pass info back and forth before test
4: Plan on opening the book up to the last day of class, then decide to forget it.

No-one has mentioned diet?

Oily fish and frsh fruit and veg, regular meals and sleep pattern give your body the ability to concentrate and absorb information for longer periods.

Self motivation, make study time a routine, x hours on x days whatever, the key is to stick to it, a routine so it becomes habit. Always give yourself a little reward when you finish study time. some yummy chocolate, or out for a beer with friends, movie whatever.

Arrange to study together, invite co-students round. Prepare a wopping great lasagna in the oven. Go study. Stuff your faces and crack a bottle of vino tinto at the end.

Nobody admits cheating the exams neither.

I never cheated :eek:

really really .. I never did :eek:

Nor I.

I never cheated :eek:

really really .. I never did :eek:

I never cheated in school. I guess I would rather fail a test\ exam having studied the best I could (and learned a few important things along the way); the cheater, expending the energy to cheat sucessfully and experiencing the paranoia of getting caught cheating, in the end does not learn a thing, only receiving the impressive but falsely-earned grade. It betrays the larger point: learning, developing skill-sets, and striving for sucess.

Someday this cheating will haunt the cheater, that is, when he\ she is called to work in an area they were supposed to learn via study and now understand none of it never-the-less possess any reasonable ability to implement a solution. I think this is especially true in the Computer Sciences-- one can only fake it for so long.

commented: sharkyy rocks =D -Boo +2

It usually took more energy to cheat than it did for me to learn information. I cheated once, and it took more out of me than just learning the material :)

Nobody admits cheating the exams neither.

Thay have now!

It usually took more energy to cheat than it did for me to learn information. I cheated once, and it took more out of me than just learning the material

It usually took more energy to cheat than it did for me to learn information.

Agree with that.

Honestly I never cheated. Earlier I was rather afraid to do so, cause it ruins your reputation especially in front of teachers. but later i understood why one shouldn't do cheating in exams.

There are stores that rent "spying" equipment such as short range 2-way relays that are disguised as mp3 players, or reading glasses. You wouldn't believe what length (and expenses) people go when it comes to "going by the easier way". It is more of a challenge and a show-off than a lack of "studying habit". I, personally, wouldn't do it because of the principal. I'm not paying for immorally high rent of such gizmos ($50 a day), just to have that one week off.

Genrally people make more effort on cheating rather than studying. They make cheat papers which small letter inscribed. Put them somewhere inside so that no one could see or suspect etc etc. I dont know why do they all this foolish things, its really stupid.

In exams questions are of course not starightforward neither are they from text. So why do thay do this. Inspite of making their best efforts thay could score no more than 40-50%.

And you ask someone near you it really disturbs that fellow. I just hate it when someone ask me for answer especially during exams since if you multiplying 3423*923 or dividing 13/157 or adding 34+34332+23232+23232+12434........ and at mid-way someone asks you to help him, blah the whole calculation till now gone.

I never cheated because cheating here is a give and take procedure and I had nothing to give except blank stares...duh..

The way I start off:

1. Pick up the book (of couse this is important).

2. Read about the author and his achievements and of course the abstract of the chapter.

3. See that a mosquito or fly is bothering me.

4. Swat it with my book (thats why book is so imp)

5. Bring up my Biology set and start dissecting it, and this takes really a lot of concentration.

6. The friends of the mosquitos / fly I just killed come to take revenge.

7. A very fiery battle starts and after fighting like real warrior, I end up winning the battle.

8. All this takes up a lot of enery and effort, so I get up to take some rest.

9. Since mosquitos and flies are in ample I get stuck in recursion and never get to study.

*sigh*

7. A very fiery battle starts and after fighting like real warrior, I end up winning the battle.

Wow, I don't want to know the size of insects in India... :mrgreen:

Maybe you should just invest in an electronic fly swatter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.