So, guys, stop crying about the old stuff, take a look around, nothing is the same - this change is for good.

I have already looked around, and have decided I prefer the old one, what more can I do :)?
I'm not 'crying', im simply pointing out what I think has turned out worse and whats turned out better.

So I don't think the story was quite necessary ;)

wtf that cheese metaphor is awesome

I have already looked around, and have decided I prefer the old one

I agree........

Its a big pain trying to login here now....... (I could not login,i tied 6 or so tries (If i could login OK i wouldnt complain about the rest))

Why is the login prompt JAVASCRIPT controlled?? (I have a hard time trying to get the applet to open)

Can you take a screenshot of what happens when you click the "Login" button?

Why is the login prompt JAVASCRIPT controlled?? (I have a hard time trying to get the applet to open)

JS doesnt use Applets, Java does.

Its probably because you are running IE6 on Windows 98 lol ;)

The only time ive ever had problems logging in with the new layout was on Pocket IE on Windows Mobile 6.1 (current). Pocket IE is basicallly about as bad as IE5 but its a pain in the ass that it means i cant use DW on the go...

I managed to get something that works Dani :)

If you would like,ill PM you with it so you can see.. (But please dont ruin it,i can login with ease now)

wheres the sidebar gone that says how many members they are and how many are online? you need that to get into the memberslist

also i get this with the menu (moderators view only)

The book is "Who Moved My Cheese?" by Spencer Johnson.

... It is really good you changed the layout, ...

Sounds like a Twilight Zone story with Billy Mumy :icon_twisted:

It seems a little glitchy in some places. Sometimes the menu items seem to be covered up a little by the ads, and menu's sometimes don't work for me. Ill try and get a screenshot for you.. but I always find it hard to redo the same glitch when im actually trying to find it ;)

I dont get it on FF3 (win32), or IE8, but then again i have ads disabled and blocked

Sometimes there are "greedy" ads, by third party ad servers, which force the ad to be on top of our menu. Nothing can be done about these, I'm afraid ... They don't happen very often though.

@williamhemsworth upgrade from current provider to some other provider like BeThere or Virgin which get you faster connection ;)

Ive got virgin at home they are good and fast but thier tech support and uptime sucks

I had Virgin few years back when they been doing fastest broadband connection in UK, 0.5MB. However then they service become very unstable and phone calls to support took ages and cost arm and leg. So I moved to F2S, good for some time but ended worst then Virgin, endless cues for support members no less then 30 min.
Now I have Be, speed is good only downside is they do have problems with their DNS servers, but look like they working on it.

Where I live (right outside NYC) we don't have all those options. Either you get AOL dial-up, your local cable company's broadband, or your local phone company's broadband.

UK is trying to push for optical networks (like Sweden), but BT is not about to do it if they do not get support from government. They been about to set test network in one randomly selected city, can not remember name, but I think they will leave it be for the time because of current crisis.
Secondly wireless broadband is taking of, but I have to say they behind East Europe (Slovakia, Czech Rep, Poland) where they have faster and more reliable wireless.

I use virgin at hone - fas as it all comes over cable with your TV, and the bulk of it is fiber. BT users in my area have ADSL and get like between 1mb and 4mb (6 to 8 if they are basically next door to the telephone exchange) whereas virgin gets 4-10 and up to 50 in faster areas. I have issues with thier DNS server dying, and tech support is crap, but they are fast, and they dont seem to enforce thier download caps. its much cheaper if you get 4pay (Cellphone, TV, Broadband and landline phone)

Still cant compare to university though. in my student hall the speed is awesome. I get 8mb upload and 50mb download. Sweet. And its free! I think its on that fiber-backbone thing that all the government buildings are on now

Our fiberoptic networks are available at a higher rate through our cable or phone companies, who also offer cable and dsl, respectively.

nope

i braught it up with dani

I suddenly can't log in at all with Firefox. All I see is a Daniweb logo, "Join Us", and "Member Login" on the top bar. The "Member Login" button is grayed out, and does nothing. The "Join Us" button works, but doesn't give an option to log in.

try the backup login form (handy, lets my pda with like IE5, and the dudes windows 98 pc login)

www.daniweb.com/login.php

I have a suggestion with regard to the new style, I don't have time to read every previous suggestion in this thread at the moment, so sorry if it's already been suggested..

The new "control panel" dropdown menu is different from the existing forum dropdowns; with the forum dropdowns, clicking on the respective button ( e.g. Software Development ) goes directly to the Software Development page, hovering over the button brings up the dropdown. With the control panel button, hovering does nothing, and it's only possible to get to the control panel by clicking the button, then clicking the "user control panel" button in the dropdown menu..

I suggest that the control panel button is made like the forum buttons, i.e. click on it to go directly to the user control panel, and hover on it to bring up the new menu.

I suggest that the control panel button is made like the forum buttons, i.e. click on it to go directly to the user control panel, and hover on it to bring up the new menu.

I agree, since that's the link I use more than any other on the site. It's only one more click to get there now, so not really a big deal, but given it's frequency of use it would be nice if it were a direct link like before.

You don't see links to control panel / donate / logout / rules ??

Oh shoot ... You're right! I'll fix this :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.