I don't know if there is a mobile app or mobile version for this site, but I have not seen one. I think it could work great if you could check to see if someone has answered your question from a mobile device or respond to someones answer. although you couldnt do the codding from a mobile device, but I think it could be a good idea. Any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

There isn't one presently, and we lack the resources to develop it officially, not to mention relative lack of demand. It's on the list of things to do, just not a super high priority right now.

A mobile app is actually in the works. While there are no plans to develop anything in-house, a friend of mine runs a private consulting firm that specializes in mobile apps, and they're excited about using our new API to develop something for us. However, I couldn't give you any sort of timeframe or feature list. It's their project, not ours :)

Wow... so there is going to be an app! Finally, i can use my phone (whenever it comes out)!

I will be scanning the app store for it when it comes out!

Yep, there is going to be a native iOS app. Dani has done a great job on the API itself, which is exactly what I need to create a mobile version. It's going to start off with the obvious stuff, but I'm curious what people in the community would like to see. While I can't make promises, I am certainly open to ideas and suggestions. I can't comment on a timeline for release at this point as it's just getting started. I will say that I'm leaning towards a 1.0 release with a fairly basic feature set, for the sake of simply getting it out vs trying to create a be-all end-all monster ultimate app that never gets finished.

So...thoughts, ideas, suggestions? This is an open dialog ;)

Yep, there is going to be a native iOS app.

Coolio.

That's awesome

So...thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Stick to getting the basics right for v1.0 - as long as I can read and post (including PMs) then I will be happy.

Bells and whistles can come later.

That said, an iPad specific version of the app would be appreciated as I hate using iPhone apps on the pad (that whole x2 jagged view does my head in).

commented: +1 on iPad comment +0

That said, an iPad specific version of the app would be appreciated as I hate using iPhone apps on the pad (that whole x2 jagged view does my head in).

AGREED!

Stick to getting the basics right for v1.0 - as long as I can read and post (including PMs) then I will be happy.

It will be using our API and therefore, largely, read only. Write functionality via our API is currently limited to voting up/down on posts and watching/unwatching articles.

Will there be an android app?

I have heard of someone working on an Android App

It will be so much easier to keep up to date with all the articles when there is one :)

Just a quick update. The first build of the iOS app has been sent to Dani for testing and evaluation. At this point it's still fairly basic and with minimal branding, so it's not yet ready for the public. It currently allows for navigating the top-level categories (no sub-categories yet) and will display the articles for the selected category. You can then select an article and view it's main post along with all it's responses. The app is still currently read- only. Login will come in a later build. Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Any thoughts?

Anything mobile related has got to be a good thing, and a positive step forward. Reminds me of the quote, "Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday” (Don Marquis) :¬)

Joking aside, the only thing to watch for regarding unidirectional app's, especially so in a forum setting, is that it may increase the appearance of traffic due to visits, but it might also result in more lurkers and less postings. But, on saying this, Dani and the Dev's (that would make a great name for a cool Soul band, or Jaz group) know what they're doing, and what the users here can cope with.

A quick point on amount of mobile traffic. Admin may be able to seethe OS that the user is using to access the site, but that won't tell you what they would like to use. Deciding on the basis of the traffic in the Mobile forum won't tell you the whole story as I know that I don't think I have ever been there. My tablet dual boots W7 and W8 and so won't readily be seen as a mobile device.

Forum Admin are often like pioneers or pathfinders, they identify or create the routes with their experience of the terrain.

As always, this is just my opinion. :-)

Write functionality via our API is currently limited to voting up/down on posts

I can see that being abused unless safeties are built in.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.