Hello, I am a new laptop user and im wondering if you leave you laptop on all the time, like you can a PC will it over heat? Im wondering if the fans are strong enough in the laptops to cope with them being on for long periods like this???

Thanks to all who reply :)

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Hey,

Do you mean like Hibernate???? Because I leave mine in hibernate all the time.....it never over heats....and it starts up just as quick. As for leaving it on 24/7...i try to conserve energy, my parents are huge on that!!!

From what I have always read, you shouldn't leave laptops on for prolonged periods of time. The fans generally wouldnt be able to cool the system as well as a workstation, there just wouldnt be the room.

I leave mine on all the time. Doesn't get particularly warm unless I'm running cpu intensive stuff, but even then the fans keep up fine. That's what they're made for, afterall.

Eh, if the laptops were prone to overheating, the companies would never make money as they would most likely have to continuously refund consumer's money. You wouldn't sell a car that would overheat after xMiles would you? I think you don't have anything to worry about (unless of coarse your laptop is 10+ years old, even then I doubt you would run into many problems). :)

Actually, laptops used to be prone to overheating. Especially the ones that had powerful desktop CPUs in them (e.g. Pentium 4s instead of Pentium Ms). Because they were still somewhat of a novelty and due to their convenience when they didn't overheat, they still sold quite well. Lately though, CPU design has taken energy costs and heat output into account more and so we have less heat and better methods of heat dissipation.

Actually, laptops used to be prone to overheating. Especially the ones that had powerful desktop CPUs in them (e.g. Pentium 4s instead of Pentium Ms).

Yeah, they used to be. But not now.

yeah ive got pentium 3 and 4 m laptops and they all overheat after a period of time

>Especially the ones that had powerful desktop CPUs in them (e.g. Pentium 4s instead of Pentium Ms).
A have a friend who (used to) have an AMD64 processor in his laptop. It had a 17" screen, battery life for around 1 hour, wicked fun... :twisted:

But going back to the original topic, modern laptop owners have nothing to worry about overheating. My laptop is on around 5 or 6 hours per day, and it stays relatively cool.

I've heard though, that redoing the thermal paste often dramatically lowers the internal temperature of the laptop (as well as voiding your warranty, better do it after it's expired)

yeah it does, my p3m thinkpad overheated alot and i put some arctic silver (high end paste) on it and now its just warm, not boiling

>A have a friend who (used to) have an AMD64 processor in his laptop. It had a 17" screen, battery life for
>around 1 hour, wicked fun... :twisted:
Yeah, this guy I know has dual P4 3.6's in his Alienware box. It's really a portable desktop, I'd not want it on my lap :p

I don't own a laptop myself, but I think I'll be getting one at graduation. I'm thinking about a Sony Vaio... anyone have it?

I've heard lots of good things about the Vaio. One of my friends has one, and it seems to work pretty well for her.

Niiice... I really like them.

Hello, I am a new laptop user and im wondering if you leave you laptop on all the time, like you can a PC will it over heat? Im wondering if the fans are strong enough in the laptops to cope with them being on for long periods like this???

Thanks to all who reply :)

to answer ur question christima, i leave my laptop of for weeks at a time. i never put my laptop on a rug or a towel or anything thats gives off lent, or even on the bed. those things block the vents on the bottom of the laptop. but if u have to use it on the bed grab a hard book or anything that is flat so it can breathe.

yeah, i use a table mat.

also most laptops have a setting to clock the speeds down e.g 2.3ghz to 1.7ghz - this helps reduce heat alot and improve battery life

Interesting...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.